We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Africa on a BUDGET for two - please HELP!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Africa on a BUDGET for two - please HELP!

Hi all,

I need help. My husband and I are looking to go to southern Africa this June-July, and we are on a tight budget. After doing a lot of research online and with using the Fodors safari book, I am frankly quite frustrated. Seems like most of the options are either luxury lodges or way over our price range anyways. Is it even possible to find anything for ~100-200/night (for both of us)?

We are hoping to do South Africa (mainly Kruger), Tanzania (Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Selous Game Reserve), Botswana (Okavango Delta), and Zambia (Victoria Falls).

I feel like a fish out of water here. Is it possible to plan such a trip 1) on a limited budget and 2) without a travel agency? And if not for either of those points, do you have any advice on how to calibrate our budget, as well as good travel agencies to go through?

In short, PLEASE HELP. I'm almost at the point of giving up on this pipe dream altogether. :-/

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Africa on a BUDGET for two - please HELP!

You can certainly do a self drive in Kruger, staying at SanParks lodges for that budget (Though more like $200 than $100) Also I think you could do Vic Falls - if you stay in cheap accom in Livingstone - and perhaps you could do a safari in Tanzania if you stay in the public camp grounds. I think Botswana is out of the question though. However you would also need to factor in flights which are expensive in Africa.

Have a look at some of the backpacker type tour operators (eg Nomad in South Africa)

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
747 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Africa on a BUDGET for two - please HELP!

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to go to Tanzania on $100 per person per day.

The park fees alone are $50 per day per person ($100 in Ngo crater).

So that really leaves you nothing to spend on car, guide, accommodation, even if you're camping in the most basic way. Better to wait until you can afford to go.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Africa on a BUDGET for two - please HELP!

I agree I think that you will struggle to do this on your budget. Either amend your trip so you have a bigger budget per night or leave it until you can really afford it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Africa on a BUDGET for two - please HELP!

I should stick to one region. Either Southern or Eastern.

Whilst it is possible to find economical places in TZ they are mainly in rural areas so to enter parks will take daily sums from your limited Budget..

How do you propose to get from say Selous to Ngorongoro?

Stick to ZA and Botswana. Unless you have more time and more cash.

5. Re: Africa on a BUDGET for two - please HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 08:17