We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenary for backpacking in Africa- Are you willing to share?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Itenary for backpacking in Africa- Are you willing to share?

Hi Folks,

My friend and I are starting to plan for 3 weeks of backpacking in Africa (Sept 1 - sept 21). We're still debating on where to go, so welcoming all your proposals. We're both in our early 30's, we're Belgian, speak English & French. Not the hardcore backpackers that would go hitch-hiking & camping, but we do like our indepence.

How we travel:

- preferably independantly. So no group tours for a longer period of time (no problem for short excursions/safari)

- transportation usually by public transportation, combined with domestic flights for long distances. If self drives are recommended, we'll consider.

- mid-range accomodation: private bed and bathroom prefered clean & safe. (in order continents we used typically hostals or mid range hotels).

We have not yet decided which country/ies to visit, so very much open to your sugestions (although South Africa isn't the highest on our priority list yet). We do want to see the big 5 and build in a few days to recharge/relax (coastal area?).

If you did a similar trip, we would be very happy to receive your itineraries & recommebdations.

Thanks a bunch!

Roel

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itenary for backpacking in Africa- Are you willing to share?

I have done something similar but it was a long time ago and five weeks. My choice would be to go to Dar es Salaam and from there to Iringa and have a Safari organized from there to Ruaha. From there on to Mbeya and Matema beach by Lake Malawi/Lake Nyassa. It's not a party place but you'd definitely see something a lot of people haven't. Depending on how much time you spend on safari you might fit in either Zanzibar and Lushoto. I loved Lushoto and Zanzibar is amazing too. You'd meet more fellow backpackers there. There are buses to all the cities except Matema. To get there you'd probably have to go on a pick up or pay someone to take you.

2. Re: Itenary for backpacking in Africa- Are you willing to share?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 07:15