We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

I'll be traveling with a tour operator in Oct. We plan to drive from the Crater to Seronera one day, then drive from Seronera to Kogatende two days later. Should we fly instead? We are being told that the Seronera to Kogatende drive is only 3 hours, but you're taken outside the parks.

How are the roads? Is this route safe?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

The drive from Seronera to Kogatende is not 3 hours a tad longer.

If I had the option I would fly. The roads will be dry and dusty but the route is safe...by that what do you mean.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

The roads are the road, whatever condition from Ngo to Seronera or onto Kogatende are what they are.

The drive time if straight on is about 4/hrs, but with a picnic lunch you can take your time for game viewing.

If you choose to drive, unless arranged otherwise - to then have the guide/vehicle up to that time - to then drive up arriving later afternoon, once at whatever camp at Kogatende will be on a GP-game package basis meaning shared game drives during stay here. So that would be up to what you wish, outfitter will provide.

Hey, if you wish the same guide and he would have to drive up, why not you also? It's a game drive where if flying, you won't get a game drive till late afternoon.

A number of outfitters offer this fly option, so guessing that as the guide whether from Seronera or Kogatende has to return to Arusha empty, from Seronera doesn't include an overnight, though if from Kogatende the guide would have to overnight somewhere. Regardless, you still pay for the guide to return empty.

Your decision.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 20:18
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

rather drive via lobo, long drive but great adventure and its within the park

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

rather drive via lobo, long drive but great adventure and its within the park

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

For me, the question is what you are doing after Kogatende.

There are basically two routes to drive. We did both of them.

One exits the park at the Ikoma gate, goes north to Mugumu, then turns east and re-enters the park... I forget the name of the gate. This gate is remote enough that there isn't an entry station there - you drive north to the station by the Kogatende airstrip to do your paperwork. This road wasn't too bad and we actually built in a day of cultural stuff in Mugumu. We spent the night at Mapito Camp, just outside the Ikoma gate, then drove the next morning to Mugumu, spent the day with the Serengeti Cultural Center staff, touring schools and local homes and the market. We stayed at the Giraffe Hotel - best place in town... and they don't see a lot of tourists! The next morning we re-entered the Serengeti, did our entry stuff at Kogatende, had a great game drive, and stayed at Exclusive Mobile Camps in the Mara river area.

The other route is via the Lobo area and stays within the park. I enjoyed this drive immensely. It provides an amazing series of changes of enviroments, all within the Serengeti ecosystem. The great plains in the south, the rolling grass hills of the north, and in between some rocky hills and a real forest enviroment as well. We say lions feasting on kills all along this route.

So... if your plan is to fly out from Kogatende as your safari ends, then I'd definitely do the drive from south to north inside the park. Yes, it is a longish drive... we did some much birding and game watching it is hard to estimate actual drive time... probably in the 5 hour range. But every mile is safari and worth driving.

If you will be driving back from Kogatende to Seronera, then I could imagine somebody deciding to do the short flight on the way north... but we liked our visit to Mugumu and seeing an area - the Mara region of Tanzania - that few travelers visit.

We keep saying "see it now" - because if the road across the northern Serengeti ever does get built, they say it will be gravel across the park... but the pavement will reach all the way from Lake Victoria to Mugumu and possibly up to the gate, meaning lots more folks will visit this remote area...

Edited: 16 April 2013, 20:25
Mwanza
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

Cruising is the best although you will have to keep riding in the main road, same game route will neither favor you. Flying is more luxury,thus you will miss some good sport in the park, Adventures one of the best things in safar's when is not too much. Godfrey Birago. Tanzania

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

I would rather drive from Sero to Koga, than drive from the Crater to Sero, the Crater Sero road is a bit of a highway and not much to see in October other than a Masai village, the southern plains would not have much except if you take the detour to Ndutu and have a look what is there. The drive from Sero to Koga via Lobo is a beautiful road and you might bump into some returning herds on those plains, you can drive via Bologonja north of the Sandriver to you drive all the way to the Bologonja spring, cross the spring and turn left, or you turn right just after the Kleins Camp split and turn left onto the road that links Lobo with Koga, it is a long drive not in distance (probably 80km from Lobo to Koga ranger post) but it takes a while because it is slow going. It would be dry so you should be fine crossing the few patches of black cotton soil.

I love this drive, big eland herds, huge buffalo herds if your lucky and you always see more when you drive as suppose to fly, you might bump into much more than you think.

Important, if you take the second option (from the Kleins split), there is another fork in the road an hour down that road where you need to go right, left takes you back towards the main road that links up with the the Fort Ikoma road. You then slowly drop down to the Mara River.

Koga is a nice area but not many roads, cross the bridge at the ranger post and go have lunch under a tree on the plains on the other side, beautiful, you can see the escarpment towards your west and good cheetah on those plains.

Have a good safari and enjoy the drive

Carel

Oh, when you drive via Lobo, quickly do the Lobo spring loop road, there is a salt lick there and good water where there could be good lion and leopard, worth the detour. Turn right just before the Migration Camp turn off and follow the road you will come out on the other side of Lobo Wildlife lodge, turn right before the public camp site and right again onto the main road (your driver will know)

nyc
Level Contributor
14,855 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

Carel V -

I'd say a bit late in your reply.

It's already Oct, so assume the OP has decided the route they'll be taking.

South Riding VA
Level Contributor
623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

Might be too late for the OP, but I got a lot out of his thoughtful response, so perhaps it saved another question.

chris

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive or fly from Seronera to Kogatende?

oh, sorry

Carel

Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park