We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with locations of N Serengeti Accommodations

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Topic
Help with locations of N Serengeti Accommodations

Spatial orientation is important to me, so pl. help me evaluate if the accommodations being suggested to me make good sense for my plans. I'm considering flying in or out of Kogatende for my 5-6 day safari in late Oct. Two nights at the Kogatende end of the itinerary are at the same camp/lodge (I'll call them K2). After consulting various sources incl. google maps, I've concluded that Kogatende airstrip is somewhere between Sayari Camp and Singita Mara River Tented Camp on this map -

expertafrica.com/tanzania/…reference-map

Where approx. are the following?

* Nasikia Luxury Camp

* Serengeti North Wilderness Tented Camp

* Serengeti Savannah Camp

* Serengeti Wilderness Camp

On the above map, what accommodation would be too far out for K2, given the time to/from Kogatende one day, and the connection to Central Serengeti on another? Does the Lobo area make any sense for K2 if I were to fly in or fly out? It has been suggested by some TOs for itineraries for both directions. It doesn't seem "north enough" to me, given that I'll be spending to fly to/from Kogatende, by which I mean that I don't want to spend a considerable time just between Kog and K2 without actually seeing anything much in northern Serengeti. I know the locations of other lodgings on my proposed itineraries except the K2.

I don't know if I am making any sense to anyone here. It appears that I am either not exactly able to convey my concern to the TOs or treading where I should not as I'm met with silence on Qs regarding distances, directions. Am I over analyzing? I'm not wired to be completely hakuna matata without knowing what I'm letting myself in for, definitely not with these kinds of $$$s involved.

I am quite taken aback by the photos of some of these places. All that (luxury, IMO) in the middle of the wilderness? Seems like it's either that or basic camp with tent and cook. :(

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,121 posts
404 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with locations of N Serengeti Accommodations

If you look at the Expert Africa Map as linked above and zoom in you will see Kogatende Airstrip due north of the location of Serengeti Mobile Camp, just on the southern bank of the river. Forget the little plane logo, look to the east of that and the strip is very visible.

Roughly between where Serian and Lemala Camps are shown but a few klicks north by the river..

I don't think you are treading toes. You are the client and if they won't answer a simple question put the business elsewhere with somebody who will answer.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with locations of N Serengeti Accommodations

I now see the Kogatende Airstrip on the zoomed in Google map corresponding to the Reference map link. I had zoomed in earlier enough to get the names of the various northern camps and lodges but not enough to see the airstrip as you lose the big picture soon. Kogatende seems to be even further north than where I guessed. So it become even more important to know the locations of the lodgings I asked about in my first post.

As to taking my business elsewhere in the face of lack of response to specific Qs, I've found that the basic response rate to initial queries has been quite poor so I have to work with the few that did respond.

Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with locations of N Serengeti Accommodations

Ghumoon

I have found and I think many on this forum also, that the TO's which have consistantly very good or excellent reviews respond in a respectable time frame. Having said that, please take in to consideration that wifi, internet service power and other business interstructures are not in the class of the USA. There is not this immediate 24/7 frenze that seems to be demanded in the USA. Also this is a very busy time for all of the TO's with the summer vacation folks. Staff can be very busy.

In addition you have not given yourself much of a lead time. Therefore you may find your pick of accommodations limited. Prime locations are booked a year in advance. I am going on a second trip in Sept-OCt and have made reservation 9 months in advance.

So follow up and /or check with some TO's on the forum. Nothing wrong with wanting to know where your are and where you are going. I over the hill and still don't know where I'm going.

Have a great trip

Crapshooter

nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with locations of N Serengeti Accommodations

K2 - shoot, we're in Asia! :-)

Haven't the foggiest what the OP is asking. Just plain daft, I guess.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 18:28
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with locations of N Serengeti Accommodations

Crapshooter,

Thanks. Your points are well taken. I was not expecting responses at electronic speeds. Is 1 week long enough to expect a response? 2 weeks? I've contacted no one but the ones on the noexpert list and others reviewed on TA.

Regarding not giving myself enough lead time, that's all my life allows. Anything else will be a "wrong career move" or lost money on cancellations. My life cannot be run around long scheduled vacations. I'm not going to TZ in prime season. I rarely travel in peak season and prefer it when the kids are safely back in schools and colleges. Anyway, I hope to arrive at a decision soon. People's old posts and responses here have been very helpful in my education.

I too don't know where I am going but have generally tried and managed to know where I don't want to go. If I can continue to do that, I think I'd be ok.

4sandi,

K2? Nah! Everest is my first love and will always be "the one" for me (sorry Kili).

6. Re: Help with locations of N Serengeti Accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park