We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tented Camps in Southern plains of Serengeti

Yadkinville, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tented Camps in Southern plains of Serengeti

I will be travelling to Tanzania in Feb. 2014 (only 2 months away) and while I'm there want to see the migration. Love the tented camps but having a difficult time finding a reasonably priced one that has availability. Any suggestions? I can go pretty rustic; the scenery & wildlife environment is more important to me than the amenities, even though I do want to be able to shower....a guide will be with me (has his own vehicle)...many of the places I've checked into set up safaris with their guide, which I don't need. Just need a kinda neat place to stay for 4 nights and meals.

Any suggestions/guidance??

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tented Camps in Southern plains of Serengeti

Have you checked the TANAPA website for their public campsites? They may still have space - and they will be rustic, crowded and heaven knows the state of cleanliness.

Unfortunately, that area and Ndutu don't have a lot of options, though TOs often book the private campsites seasonally as options.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tented Camps in Southern plains of Serengeti

... and by now those 'special' campsites are all booked.

Even if obtaining a special campsite, there are no facilities as a loo or shower. Under normal circumstances visitors who use these have a guide and cook. The latter specifically usually does the tent setups, a separate loo and shower tents, providing water as you need.

At this time, not surprising your difficulty when you consider most book safari at this time a year in advance.

Good luck in your research.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tented Camps in Southern plains of Serengeti

If only visiting Ndutu/So.Serengeti - know the drive time is almost a full-day each way.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,703 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tented Camps in Southern plains of Serengeti

The closest public campsite where you will need your own tents would be at Seronera or the one at Ngorongoro. At Ndutu and Olduavi they have special campsites...as Sandi says will be already booked and a year in advance.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tented Camps in Southern plains of Serengeti

Contact (or have your guide contact) Tanapa about their public sites. Buy a cheap tent in Arusha, plan to eat with the guides at their canteens (if there is one at the public camps) unless your driver is prepared to cook for you and most won't. Don't count on showers. Bring spare water and baby wipes.

Your window of opportunity for 'reasonable' less expensive camping is most likely closed. You will either have to pay for location, or be very low frills indeed.

It is one of the misfortunes of trying to plan last minute and/or not using a TO.

If your pockets are flush enough, then enquire about Kati Kati tented camps. Their website posts the standard rates, but they have numerous locations around the Serengeti.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
399 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tented Camps in Southern plains of Serengeti

We stayed at Ubuntu in the really southern Serengeti last December and then Olakira at Ndutu last Xmas. They are lux camps but you are not required to use their guides and your guide will be accommodated.

I'm not sure of the difference in price and availability will be an issue. My view is if you can afford to get to the Serengeti ( and it is expensive) make sure you enjoy it and see as much as you can. I don't get on this forum as often as I'd like to and whenever I do. I just yearn to return. have a great time.

7. Re: Tented Camps in Southern plains of Serengeti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park