We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guides/Driver at Ndutu Wilderness Camp

California
Level Contributor
453 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Guides/Driver at Ndutu Wilderness Camp

I'll be staying at the Ndutu Wilderness Camp in February. The Ndutu portion of the trip is in "tented camping" and the 2nd leg is "basic camping." These are my questions:

* While guests stay in the tented camp, where do the driver/cook stay?

* I believe I saw a thread previously where people said that drivers didn't like certain camps/locations because they were not treated well. Can anyone comment on driver/cook treatment at Ndutu Wilderness Camp?

* Do the camps themselves have vehicles they take out daily or do all people at the camp come with driver/guide from their hired company?

My prior safari experience has been all basic camping where the guide and cook slept in tents at the same campground as we did... this is slightly new territory for me and any insight would be appreciated.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
618 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guides/Driver at Ndutu Wilderness Camp

Guides and cooks have their own tents but they join dinner with their clients. So, they do eat what is arranged for that nights and not different food. Our clients spent a night for days ago with our guide and cook and it was great.

Maybe the post you saw has became to be a lesson to this camp. Am sure trip advisor works well and help tourist all over the world to have better services. Keep it up!!!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guides/Driver at Ndutu Wilderness Camp

Can't comment specifically about Ndutu Wilderness accommodations for guide/cook, so why not ask your tour operator. Also, if 2nd segment is 'basis camping' and the guide/cook have own tents for this, if they don't like what the camp itself is providing they can probably set up what works for them... their own tents.

Most of these camps have guests who arrive with own guide/vehicle, so don't have vehicles with which to take clients out on game driive... though might have 1/vehicle, if a particular guest decided to fly-in/out.

Again, discuss specifics with tour operator.

California
Level Contributor
453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guides/Driver at Ndutu Wilderness Camp

Thanks for the insight.

4Sandi, I can ask my TO but I came to the forum for first hand insight from other travelers and what they have seen... everyone on the forum can ask their TO the questions they post but we ask here for an unbiased first hand account.

Per the second segment, I am not worried about the basic camping portion because they (driver/cook) will be at the same campground in a tent on the ground just like us =). The main thrust of my inquiry was to find info on driver/cook accommodations in tented camps such as Wilderness.

4. Re: Guides/Driver at Ndutu Wilderness Camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:18