We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hippo viewing possibilities

Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hippo viewing possibilities

We will be staying at Lemala Kuria Hills in August of this year and wanted to know if there are opportunities to view hippos near this area. I have heard about the hippo pool but do not know how close it is to our camp. Thanks

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hippo viewing possibilities

Lemala Kuria Hills is in the far north in the Serengeti... a wonderful area. I don't remember specifically hippo locations there, so forgive my responding without precisely answering your question - but...

The way you phrase the question - "the hippo pool" - suggests this is your first trip to the Serengeti. There are actually many locations to see hippos. We expect to see them every day. And there are many "hippo pools". I think "THE" hippo pool usually refers to one with a large parking lot which is convenient for lunch box stops in the Seronera area.

So if Lemala Kuria Hills is your only stop on safari, then you'll want to make sure your guide knows that hippos are important to you. If you are doing game drives in more areas, then hippos are pretty much a given... just a matter of what you want to photograph... hippos piling on each other in the water... maybe some spouting of spray backlit by the sun... maybe some hippos out of the water with oxpeckers attending them... some of the pink mucous "sunscreen" for color...

Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hippo viewing possibilities

Thanks idiotsabroad. It is our first time to the area and Kuria Hills is our only stop for safari (we fly in). I think hippos are unique creatures and definitiely want to photograph them.

I wasn't sure how far we would have to travel to see them from Kuria Hills camp but will ask our guide. Do you know how far Seronera would be from Kuria?

3. Re: Hippo viewing possibilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:21