We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly/Fly or Drive/Fly?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
333 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Fly/Fly or Drive/Fly?

Hi Everyone,

I've gotten several proposed itineraries from TO's for this October. Some suggest that driving through the park with an ON stopover in Seronera on the way to Mara is the best way to do it, others say that one should fly both directions. Opinions on this?

Thank you!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Fly/Fly or Drive/Fly?

I think to drive from Tarangire to Mombo in a day is pushing the envelope a bit. It can be done but Mtae is a good bit further and nearly two hours up from Mombo.

I was thinking much as NoExperet on making the Arusha break a longer one and fitting in Momella etc., then. That would work but my only reservation would be the two days at the start are a useful buffer against plane delays etc.,

Maybe leave them there and when leaving Tarangire push on down to Moshi or even Same?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
333 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Fly/Fly or Drive/Fly?

And staying overnight at Moshi or Same?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Fly/Fly or Drive/Fly?

Yes. Instead of Arusha. It will shorten the drive a bit the next day and give more time in decent scenery.

(both places will be less expensive than Arusha as an inducement.)

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
333 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Fly/Fly or Drive/Fly?

Just thought of one more question about this itinerary. All of the TO's I've consulted have their guide staying with us until we get to Pangani, i.e. driving us from Tarangire to Mtae, staying there for 3 nights and then driving us to Pangani where we part company. On the itinerary it says "at leisure" for the 3 days in Mtae. I'm assuming we will want to do some guided hikes there with local guides. Which begs the question, why keep the safari guide with us. Seems like it would add expense without much advantage. Is this common?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Fly/Fly or Drive/Fly?

I agree. You could return teh car/guide at Mtae and rely on that Lodge to Guide you. If at Mambo view Herman will help out with a link to a driver to get you to Pangani. Drop him a mail.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
333 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Fly/Fly or Drive/Fly?

Sounds good. Thank you.

17. Re: Fly/Fly or Drive/Fly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 07:16