We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

My boyfriend and I will be flying into Zanzibar on Feb. 5th. Fortunately or unfortunately for us, his team has made the Superbowl and we need to find a place to watch it. Does anyone have any suggestions of someplace that might be showing it?

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

The only place to trace is at Mtoni Marine Sport Bar.

But I think they will focus on Barclays Premier League at that time.Just confirm with them while in Stonetown.

Alternative,find a Hotel with Dstv access and Tv in the room so that will be able to watch it in your room.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

Thanks so much for the advice. Well ask mutoni, but will dstv definitely show the game? Their online guide only goes a week in advance...

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

I am not very sure that DSTV will show the game, American Football is not really popular here like football, rugby and cricket is. I seriously doubt you going to get to see the game. we do get ESPN on DSTV so that might be your only hope? I am trying to have a look at the TV guide online but my internet is quite slow at the moment so maybe you can try

http://www.dstv.com/Pages/Guide/

I really think Mtoni Marine, Mcheza Bar is going to be your best bet if any.

Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

This is actually the first year that the superbowl will be online streamed. Here is the article I found usatoday.com/sports/…1

Sometimes stuff like this will only stream in certain countries, but if you find a US proxy website you can use you should be able to connect to the stream from anywhere. As far as internet access, I have no idea. I'm just lurking because I'm going to Tanzania with a medical group this summer. Not quite the same as watching it in a bar, but could be a last resort option.

Mentioned in this post
Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

you can definitely try online streaming but I catch up on all my series with online streaming and I have to wait for them to buffer which can take a couple of hours sometimes and then I watch it. I had a guest not so long ago who tried to watch his football match with online streaming and he just said it took too long with it buffering every few seconds, he eventually just listened to the live commentary. You will need to find somewhere with really really good internet and even then you will probably still struggle.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

Just to follow up: the ONLY place that had it in Zanzibar was the Serena. Not cheap, but the Giants won so my boyfriend definitely thought it was worth it!

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

Reminds me of about 12 or 13 years ago when I had a group there during the superbowl. They were certain that it would be televised because everyone watched the superbowl, laid in a lot of munchies and a adult beverages, went to bed early and all set their alarms certain that they would have a superbowl party that night. When I met them for breakfast the next morning I asked if they saw the superbowl (knowing in my own mind that no one in Tz would be showing that) and they grumpily said NO, it wasn't on. They followed that up with, what's the matter with these people; and I replied No the better question is what's the matter with us.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

As an American, I've seen some of the weirdest /funniest stuff on television in other parts of the world. Examples: (1) in Taiwan, the 60's serial Rat Patrol, complete with both the Nazis and the GI's all barking to each other in dubbed Mandarin Chinese, (2) Olympics coverages can be awesome 24/7 coverage to heavy local-biases--US television overemphasizes coverage of its own atheletes. Others can do similar overemphases on things. But in some places, you can watch almost every curling match in its entirety, televised, (3) in Arusha, you'll see BBC broadcasts with travel advertisements that you'll never see in the US--about Turkey, Cyprus, etc, (4) Football season in Tanzania, or as known as soccer in the US, Tanzanians will be glued to every available television set and radio. The porters will be huddled around radios on Kili during the nights.

And then there's other people's ideas of sitcoms and variety shows in other parts of the world. Funny stuff.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 05:47
Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

Hi

What is Superbowl ? a cooking class ?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watching the Superbowl in Zanzibar?

Silly man, every one knows a Superbowl is what Super Goldfish swim in!

Edited: 21 April 2012, 09:34
Get answers to your questions about Zanzibar Archipelago