We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

We are a couple who enjoy boutique properties and have found some beautiful places in Zanzibar. However, they all seem to be quite isolated and all inclusive. We would like to be able to walk/cycle out to different places for lunch, go to a bar for sundowners and a couple of different places for dinner in the evening (although appreciate the safety angle and need to get a taxi after dark). We are not looking for loads of choice, just a couple of places or a small town nearby so we are not eating in a resort night after night and feel we are getting to experience a little local culture.

We are looking for a mid to upper range place.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you

nyc
Level Contributor
14,662 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

Boutique is just that because most often they are remote and so AI. However, if you wish HB=Breakfast/Dinner or B&B only, you can ask.

Then if you don't leave the property during mid-day for lunch or decide to have dinner in-house, you'd pay a-la-carte. However the a-la-carte prices are often higher than if they had been included in the overall per night rate.

How many days total do you plan to be on ZNZ? And, what properties have you been considering?

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

Thanks for your reply. We are staying for 6 nights and plan to spend 2 in Stone Town (torn between Marashiki and Jafferji at the moment) and 4 on the beach.

We've looked at many places - Anna of Zanzibar, Echo Beach are examples of ones which look great but I worry are too isolated and quiet, so we can't get out in the evening to experience a local vibe

I found Crazy Mzungos Beach Lounge and Kimte Beach Bar on the internet and those looked like a fun place for a drink/snack - is that so and are there other beach bars like this around?

Thanks again for your help.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

we just got back from Zanzibar yesterday, and stayed 5 nights is Z hotel in Nungwi, and 2 nights in Stone town after our safari.

We really liked the Z hotel, it is a boutique hotel, small but very nice, good food, and you can just walk the beach to go to another nearby hotel;

not sure about at night though, we had half board in the Z.

there is a beach bar next to the hotel, they do beach BBQ there in the evening, but also play loud music untill late at night, so if you don't like that, ask for a room on the other side. We had to move rooms because of this, but I think I am probably an older generation then you ...

I was travelling with my 4 kids, we were not impressed by Stone Town. 1 night would have been more then enough. beware also of Zanzibar airport,

our flight was cancelled, next flight delayed, we were asked to pay if we wanted luggage tags on our bags, this was of course on top of the departure tax... pitty, but it could not ruin a fantastic holiday !

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
800 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

We are looking at LagiLangi Bungalows in Nungwi. I also feel how you do about maybe getting some local influence at a few local restaurants also, although I hear the food at this place is quite good and that people from other hotels actually come to this place for dinner! I also like this place for the beach-the tides aren't extreme as they are on the rest of the islands. The reviews seems quite good. We will not be there until March.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

We have a similar dilemma - also staying for a couple of nights in Stone Town. This will be our first visit to Tanzania - usually there is a clear cut contender for the best places to stay but I'm having great problems deciding where in Zanzibar. Is Anna of Zanzibar walking distance to the nearby hotels?

My requirements are a comfortable bed and air con.

NB, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

Try Next paradise boutique hotel...............http://www.next-paradise.com/

London, UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

Hi - did you find anywhere boutiquey but not all-inclusive? We are keen to visit Zanzibar and our requirements are pretty much identical to yours! Any recommendations you have would be much appreciated!

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

Here are some options without all inclusive basis according to the preference of the First Poster.

The Z Hotel - North Coast

Sultan Palace Zanzibar - East Coast

Kasha Boutique Hotel - North East Coast

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

Thank you for all of your comments

We have decided to go for Z Hotel. Our conclusion from various forums and the company that is organising our safari is that the only area that offers us the option of life outside our hotel is Nungwi and we understand that Z Hotel is the only luxury/boutique option there.

We will be there in October, so I'll report back as I'm sure we'll travel around the island a bit and get a feel for other places too.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything boutique but not all-inclusive on a beach?

We're not going until January so look forward to your comments on your return. Have a good trip.

Get answers to your questions about Zanzibar Archipelago