We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoestring budget: Need really cheap accomodation

southern Vermont
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shoestring budget: Need really cheap accomodation

I am traveling solo and will stay in hostels where they exist, but they do not exist everywhere in Tunisia. Will I be able to find guest houses or a room with a family for US $10 or under, with clean sheets and a lock on my door? Such a place is not going to have a website. But wandering around during the day will I spy such places and be able to go in a take a look?

Traveling to small towns in Sicily, I would often go to the police station or a local bar/caffe and ask if there was a woman who might rent out a room in her home to me, a woman myself. This worked! Will it work in Tunisia?

southern Vermont
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoestring budget: Need really cheap accomodation

Guess not, eh? Heh Heh. You'd be surprised what I can do. I used to read The Frugal Traveler in the NYT and laugh when I saw that her "budget" trip cost more than i earned that year, and yet I could travel in the Med and stay away from home for months at a time. I will let you know how it goes in Tunisie.

Europe
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoestring budget: Need really cheap accomodation

It actually is possible in Tunisia also, in the worst case, you can approach the police or a mosque. However, there are even hostel-like rooms for around 8$/night available in the big towns, but you should not leave any of your belongings in that room when you are not present.

Else, there is an internet organization which is exchanging offers for FREE private accomodation for travellers worldwide, it was started by a russian backbacker - and there are numerous offers from Tunisians as well. Unfortunately, I do not remember the site address anymore. :(

Europe
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoestring budget: Need really cheap accomodation

It actually is possible in Tunisia also, in the worst case, you can approach the police or a mosque. However, there are even hostel-like rooms for around 8$/night available in the big towns, but you should not leave any of your belongings in that room when you are not present.

Else, there is an internet organization which is exchanging offers for FREE private accomodation for travellers worldwide, it was started by a russian backbacker - and there are numerous offers from Tunisians as well. Unfortunately, I do not remember the site address anymore. :(

4. Re: Shoestring budget: Need really cheap accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 14:06
southern Vermont
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoestring budget: Need really cheap accomodation

Thank you for your answer, Afjab. Yes, I am a member of Couchsurfing and will look into finding hosts there. It is a good way to meet people in the country you will visit.

6. Re: Shoestring budget: Need really cheap accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2010, 05:34
Get answers to your questions about Tunisia