We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

london
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

Hi everyone

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Me and my boyfriend are going to Yasmine Hammamet in May 2010 (staying at Chich Khan). I have not been to Africa before, usually holidaying in Spain or the USA in resorts which are all quite similar to the UK.

I was just wondering what information you wish you had been told before holidayin in Tunisia. For example:

Are there any places that are a must see? Or any that I definately should not visit?

Any travel tips people can offer?

What are the locals like?

Is there anything unusual that I should pack?

Doe they have any dress code requirements (such as covering knees/elbows etc?)

Hopefully the more info I am armed with before my trip the more fun I will have.

Thanks.

Kait

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
534 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

HI

If you look at my past posts - Tunisiamad - you'll find most things you need to know.

Must sees - desert, El Jem, Dougga, SIdi Bou Said - depends how long going for.

Locals very friendly - though like anywhere with tourism - watch out for those making a crafty dinar - check prices - dont be afraid to say no and go back later when sure.

Unusual to pack - not really.

Dress code - just need to respect that is muslim country and dress accordingly in towns - though unless sightseeing in mosques etc you can go round in sundresses and tops - unfortuantely last time we was there more and more where walking round as if in Spain etc and bit of an insult to the locals.

Enjoy -

Tunisiamad

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

NIce hotel; we stayed there a couple of years ago.

always check the taxi price before you get in.

be aware of the "remember me i was your waiter last night" scam

not all bars and restaurants sell alcohol

have some money ready for when the porters whip your suitcase away from you when you arrive at the hotel

a polite but firm " no " works with the locals trying to get you to buy, they are just trying to make a living

the spa at the chich khan is lovely

it is different to spain in many ways

have a lovely time

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

Yes, the 'remember me' scam is a common one. We even had them working in pairs: one fellow was friendly, had a nice chat to him, mentioned we had arrived the night before and mentioned our hotel and then he was off - what a friendly fellow we thought. A few mintues later another 'friendly' chap who 'had driven us to the .... hotel we were staying at", he mentioned it by name which confused us at first and thought maybe it was him as it was dark and we didn't really look at him too closely. But it didn't take long to realise he wasn't our driver and we sent him on his way and didn't continue following him to 'the local craft show that finished that day'. Obviously fellow number 1 had phoned chap number 2 and passed on the information for a more convincing scam .So beware, and unfortunately don't immediately trust anyway, be cautious and polite.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

we were in a taxi when they tried to scam us. driver phoned his mate and must have told them where we were staying. as we got out of the taxi in hammamet, a man approached us and said "ah you're from the chich khan" luckily we were aware and just said no and walked away.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

Hi

In addition to the information you can find on these forums, I would recommend taking a good travel guide with you (I used the Rough Guide to Tunisia) for in-depth information about the different areas of the country, places to visit, cultural information, etc. Also useful if you speak a bit of French (or take a basic French phrase book with you) to assist with chatting with the local people.

I have just returned from a week in Sousse, and had a really good holiday. I found most of the people I met to be warm and welcoming. Obviously, shopkeepers in the souks very keen for you to spend your money with them, but after all they are only trying to make a living. Don't be afraid to barter, and give a polite "no" if you don't want to make a purchase.

Have a great trip!

london
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

Thank you all so much for your comments. I will definately be more aware of scammers now.

Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

if ordering a Stella beer from the menu and it seems to be just a little cheaper than the other import beers-you will be served "imitation" Stella made in Tunisia.

do not get in a horse drawn carriage before thoroughly negotiating a price and a set distance. Otherwise 5 minutes later you will be ouf 30£.

Do see the sites where they filmed Star Wars. In the south it is well worth the trip. You can stay at "luke skywalkers" house- in Matmata for 18$ a night including dinner. Very awesome

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

the waiters etc are extremely friendly. they are grateful for your business and they are some of the nicest hospitality staff we've ever come across. we went back to PEK after a three year break and one waiter that we had been friendly with previously even remembered what i do for a living

9. Re: Things you wish you had known before going to Tunisia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Tunisia