We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

Cant make my mind up Port el Kantoui or Hammenett which is the closest to the airport and which one would be best for middle aged couple and which hotels do people recommend

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

Lesleywood

This is only my opinion. But if you are a big fan of Olu Deniz, and everything that makes the Turkey Aegean and Mediterranean coasts buzz, then you might be a bit disappointed with what the Tunisian resorts have to offer.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

We have visited PEK twice and loved it.

We liked the proximity to Sousse and when we visited it was a shorter transfer than Hammamet.

We are hoping to go back in March and want to give Hammamet a try.

I think PEK is a good resort for a first time visitor.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

I do agree with you Dragon, I tend to find purpose built resorts rather sterile and lacking in atmosphere <<<<<

Exactly my thoughts wanderin_star!

Is it an all inclusive cheap break with better weather than the UK or do you want to be aware you are staying in a foreign country and experience a little local culture? <<<<<<

The purpose built resort are just perfect for people who just want better weather than the UK but only if your happy with being surrounded by Europeans even if you leave the hotel. The old towns are better if you prefer experiencing the culture of the country you are visiting and enjoy seeing people who actually live there in their day to day lives.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

I tend to find purpose built resorts rather sterile and lacking in atmosphere <<<<<

Yes, but they are holiday resorts, thats the point ,attract the tourists

To see the "real" Tunisia you may have to travel west as the main cities on the east coast, (outwith the Capital) Sousse, Hammamet, Monastir, Skanes rely heavily on tourism.Tourist numbers over the years have increased, not despite, but because of Yasmine-Hammamet and Pek being constructed. I have visited and stayed in all the aforementioned places and never found them either sterile or lacking in atmosphere

They are what they say on the tin... "Holiday Resorts"

Mick

Edited: 05 January 2012, 23:26
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

@clerryjungle<<<They are what they say on the tin... "Holiday Resorts">>>

The cheapest holiday resorts you're likely to find anywhere.

Unfortunately [sometimes], cheap attracts low quality tourists, who completely flaunt the rule-of -the-road in a muslim country.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

Very true Clerryjungle but the old towns are a bit more "authentic" compared to the purpose built resorts....I'd personally rather sit about in the old towns mingling with people who actually live there than walking down somewhere thats trying to look as much like Hollywood Boulevard as it possibly can...

All down to personal choice....of course the old towns are still holiday resorts at the end of the day.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

Yes dragon

I stayed in Chich Khan Hotel Yasmine last month. However i made 3 day trips to Sousse, a few visits in Hammamet,Nabuel, Hergla and a few other towns in between.

Best of both worlds

Mick

Edited: 06 January 2012, 16:55
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

I agree clerryjungle

I like to travel around also. I normally stay in Mrezka (part of Hammamet but very close to Nabeul) and use that as my base for travelling. In June I visited Beja, Jendouba, Ain Draham and Tabarka which was just fantastic. In November I again stayed in Mrezka as a base but travelled to Sousse and spent a few hours in PEK. Going again in February and will again be in Mrezka for my base and will travel to Sousse and Monastir......travellings the best part, why stay in one place when it is so cheap and easy to move around :D

19. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 January 2012, 17:43
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Port el Kantoui or Hammenett cant decide

Mick,How did Yasmine compare to PEK?

We are going back in March and would like to try Hammamet but most people seem to prefer the PEK.area.

Get answers to your questions about Tunisia