We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice please

staffordshire uk
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
advice please

hi never been to tunisia before planning to go mid may are there any hotels on the beach that are within walking distance of shops cafes bars etc it looks beautiful but dont want to be confined to a complex or have to pay for taxis each night to get out and about any advice would be welcome thanks

London
Level Contributor
8,119 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice please

Tunisia is more of a hotel based resort especially with the ubiquitous spread of AI. In Sousse probably best bet would be Marhaba or Marhaba Club - there are coffee shops and small shopping centre opposite. Bars tend to be more night club orientated and frequented by locals and nothing like the bar culture of other Med countries. Not so famiiar with Hammamet but hopefully Khal or someone will recommend best hotels in Hammamet closest to bars/coffee shops.

UK
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice please

We've stayed at the Hotel Mehari in Yasmine Hammamet which faces the beach. As we were there on a B&B basis we walked every evening to the restaurants/piano bars/cafes in the Marina. There are many other hotels along that stretch, as well as shops, which no doubt others could comment on.

goldenyasmin.com/mehari-hammamet/en/index.htm

staffordshire uk
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice please

hi thanks for the reply you say you stayed b&b is there english food available outside the hotels we will be travelling with a 2 year old and not sure wether or not we could do b&b or have to go all inc. thanks

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice please

Orangers beach resort and Bungalows is on the Beach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4ZpaPr_0U

There are shops out side and Hammamet and Yasmine Hammamet are a cheap and short taxi ride away

Edited: 20 April 2012, 15:39
staffordshire uk
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice please

thanks for the reply we were thinking of going b & b is there much chance of getting english food in cafes or resaurants? i know were not in england but other half like plain english food thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice please

There is the Shakespeare pub in Hammamet run by a nice friendly English lady called Dawn. She would even do a Sunday Roast on Sundays.

An alternative place could be the Steakhouse pub. Near it there is the Chan Khank hotels/ All the peole who stayed there reckoned it is very good places.

I would also heed DutyJoe recommendation of Les Orangers resort and bungalows. Another excelllent place.

You have also to bear mind, even remote hotels has taxis just outside to take anywhere in town for nor more that 4 dinars (£2). So it is cheap to go eating out.

Cheers

Cas

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice please

Sorry for going on about the orangers, but i just got back from there and i cant stop talking about the place ;o)

If he wants B&B The orangers is not for him, as it is only a super all inclusive

staffordshire uk
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice please

hi its not really that we want b & b its just we didint fancy paying AI and not liking the food and then going out and paying again if you get me although we are fairly well travelled we always manage to find sort of plain food somewhere but never having been to tunisia we dont know what to expect food wise.

staffordshire uk
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice please

hi who do you book with for orangers i want to have a look and get prices.

UK
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice please

We opted out of the H/B arrangement that had been booked for us at the Hotel Mehari (we were attending a conference) as the buffet in the evening consisted of fish stew, meat stew and chicken stew - all served with couscous, rice or fried potatotes. We were taken to the Marina by Tunisian colleagues where restaurants served delicious freshly cooked fish or roasted meats. Whether you describe this as British food I don't know but it wasn't spicy or swimming in oil or fat and the other diners were all non-Brits.

One evening we took a taxi into Hammamet to try another local restaurant. It was excellent with many French diners who were obviously regulars. We stopped off on the way back to our hotel at one of the piano bars in the Marina before strolling back to the Mehari.

Tunisia offers excellent value but you do have to come with an open mind,.

Get answers to your questions about Tunisia