We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared... Or paranoid???

6 posts
Save Topic
Scared... Or paranoid???

Hey guys,

Listen I've just found out I'm 7 weeks pregnant, and heading to Hammamet in a fortnight! I have read forums elsewhere, pretty much telling people to cancel their holiday if they are pregnant as ye beaches/pools/ and sea is dirty and the food is very unsafe! Now I know people like to moan, and exaggerate.. But surely I'm allowed to be a little bit paranoid?? Especially as I'm pretty early! Any I suppose I'm looking for reassurance and advice from anyone who has been whilst pregnant.. Or at least knows best action to take! Much appreciated.

Perhaps somewhat paranoid pregnant chic :)

thornaby on tees
Destination Expert
for Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

just go and enjoy your self,

keep your hands clean, take hand gel/wipes and dont put your fingers in your mouth, the usual precautions,

the sea is clean but dont drink it, have a good paddle and walk the sea line for a bit of exersize,

as for the food use your eye's and look for what you like, there is always a good choice,

its your holiday so dont believe every thing you read,

alan

East Anglia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

Congratulations :)

Like Alan said usual precautions and someone mentioned on here earlier drink plenty out water and something about salt too ! I'll find the post and copy it helpfull info !

Which hotel you staying at ?

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

Nesrine hotel, which seems to have good reviews at the moment :) and thanx x

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

But is the sea clean?

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

Haven't you been?

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

Haven't you Been?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't swim anywhere near...

outfall pipes, a waterline matted with sea-weed, a waterline matted with debris, an operational sea-port (eg Sousse), areas where hotels sit on the beach one after the other.

And as the Mediterranean is barely tidal, the stuff that enters the sea doesn't really go anywhere.

6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

I know this might sound daft... But will I know just by looking if the sea is dirty? Any help is appreciated. Thank you lad!

thornaby on tees
Destination Expert
for Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

the sea will look clean but its the bacteria thats in it you should be aware of, yes there is the usual seaweed, palm leaves and flotsam and jetsam from vessels and people, but no more than over here,

i have seen worse beaches in this country, but we still go in the sea,

just be carefull,

alan

Edited: 15 August 2012, 23:07
Dublin
Level Contributor
103 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scared... Or paranoid???

If I were you I would just visit my doctor before travelling - get him/her to give you tips and advice on what to avoid, ways to minimise risk etc. If in doubt and you are not sure, err on the side of caution, but don't let it ruin your holiday.

There are probably far dirtier and dangerous things at home but you are not as hypersensitive to it cos its home! It is understandable to be a bit worried now you have precious cargo onboard, but just be sensible and make the most of your holiday.

Congratulations by the way!

Get answers to your questions about Tunisia