We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English Patient tour?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
English Patient tour?

Hi there,

I'm interested in traveling to Tunisia, and the English Patient is one of my favorite movies. Quite simply the depiction of the desert (I know it's supposed to be Egypt in the 30s) takes my breath away and I would like to experience it firsthand. I might even sit in the dunes and puff on a cigarette!

So the movie might not be as on people's minds as it was in the late 90s, but I'm wondering if there are any great English Patient themed excursions still going on?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English Patient tour?

I would not recommend travel to Tunisia at this time. The government is still struggling with control issues. For a great desert experience try Merzouga in south eastern Morocco.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English Patient tour?

Yes, I've put that trip on hold for now considering world affairs.

I traveled to Morocco earlier this year and plan another return.

Hopefully the unrest cools down!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English Patient tour?

There is only unrest in Tunis and in the area of the American Embessy. Last days it was quiet.

Most areas of Tunisia are perfect quiet and you can travel around the country safe ! So see no reasons to cancel your trip !

ps: never knew they filmed The English Patient in Tunisia.

Edited: 18 September 2012, 18:10
4. Re: English Patient tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Tunisia