We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sousse

Isle of Man, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Sousse

Hi there weve booked a holiday for june 2013 in Sousse in Tunisa, but i am now having 2nd thoughts about going due to everyone saying how bad it is out there. Everyone has said how rough it is out there? Is it safe?

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sousse

Its perfectly safe, unless the Foreign and Commonwealth office says otherwise.

I feel safer out there than I do in my home town at night, and I live in Cornwall!!! Lol.

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sousse

Also, the thing to remember is it is North Africa, its not England or Benidorm. Its still very poor, but the resorts and hotels are lovely, they treat you very very well, like royalty most of them. :-D

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sousse

Emma,

If you are a first time visitoe, then I hope you will find the follwoing useful:

SOUSSE

As the second largest city in the country, it is very populated and busy. It is also chaotic and polluted with the busy traffic in and around the city. The old quarter of the city is bustling with the local daily. Sousse is a very good good holiday resort in its own righ, and have some splendid beaches. Hence, the many hotels to cater for the increasing number of tourists.

WEATHER IN JUNE

Very hot. Temperaute would in mid thirties degree, with some days even hotter than that. Sun cream and insect repellent would be required.

LOCAL CURRENCY

The first important thing you would need is to familiarise yourself with the local currency the Tunisian Dinar (TD). It is a closed currency which means it is only available inside the country. It also means that the exchange rate is determined by the Tunisian Treasury and not influenced by international monetary fluctuation.

What this means to you is that you take your sterling and change them inside Tunisia. Nowhere else. Keep the receipt every time you change the sterling. So on the way back home you can change any leftover TDs back to sterling at the airport.

The current exchange rate is £1 = about 2 TD. This rate should be the same anywhere you change money.

TD notes come in 30 dinars, 20 dinars, 10 dinars & 5 dinars.

Coins are 5 dinar, 1 dinar, 1/2 dinars, and other small coins (I think they are Mills)

The second important thing is to look after your money. Everything is negotiable in Tunisia. Good hagglers get bargains, bad hagglers get ripped off.

FIRST TIME VISITOR

As a first time visitor these are few things to be aware of

•Females s should be wary of some local guys who would try to chat them up. They should also dress up more conservatively when out in town or near religious sites

•The souvenir shops owners, who, once you enter their shops, they will use every trick to stop you leaving until you part with of your cash.

•Fake gears and jewellery

•Streets and beach hawkers

•Hotel staff who constantly looking out for tips. Also watch out for the damn right rude ones

•Taxi drivers ripping off passenger by not displaying the meter.

•Litter and stray cats all over the place.

•Dirt, pollution and chaotic traffic in some part

•Flies and other insects hovering over your dinner.

•Safety of drinking tap water

•Prices of alcohol

•Preferential treatment to Tunisians and French holidaymakers above other nationalities

•The cost and misleading itinerary of some excursions/trips

•The hypocrisy of some holiday rep

FINALLY

Prepare yourself for a culture shock. The way of life is very much different from ours. And also the Tunisians are much poorer, and they look at the Europeans as a rich picking.

Shopping can be a nightmare. When you go to shops just for browsing, some shopkeepers won’t let you leave until you buy something. They would do all the tricks and use all the charms to get you to part with your money. But if you stand firm, and say NO THANK YOU, they will eventually go. If you see something you like, then you must HAGGLE THE PRICE DOWN until at least they drop it by at least a half from the original quote.

When taking taxis insist the drivers display the meter. And always try to pay the fare in loose coins. Some drivers would pretend they don’t have change if you give them bank notes.

For preferential treatment, always have the odd loose dinars for tipping now & then. 3 TD can a mean a lot to a hotel worker. For that they would that extra mile to look after you well.

I would recommend avoiding tap water and drinking only bottled water purchased from shop. Very cheap, but most importantly is safe. When buying bottled water, always check the top is intact. Some shops and bars refill empty bottle from the tap and sell it bottled water.

Don’t buy anything or have any dealing with street and beach traders and hawkers.

RELAX, KEEP YOUR WIT ABOUT YOU AND YOU WILL HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME. IN A WONDERFUL COUNTRY

Cheers

Cas

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sousse

Who is everyone ??

To which hotel are you going ??

ps- it is perfectly safe there by the way !!

Cottingham, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sousse

Iv been twelve times 3 times last year going back in may love this country just go and enjoy yourself and relax nobody will hurt you they will,love you and talk to you if you take the time to talk to them

6. Re: Sousse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Tunisia