We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Transfer

Irvine, Ayrshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Money Transfer

Hi,

My family are all flying out to Sousse soon for a well earned break and looking forward to visiting Tunisia for the 1st time.

I have read that the Tunisian currency is only available within Tunisia, so what would be the best currency to exchange from :- Sterling or Euros or Dollars ?

and could I take the currency out of Tunisia, as we have friend holidaying in Sousse a month after us ?

Many thanks

London
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Transfer

Just take sterling, otherwise you will be involved in two exchange rates. Scottish notes can be difficult to change to best take English notes.

Officially not allowed to take currency out of Tunisia. Saying that, I am sure all regular visitors do keep dinars for next visit. Make sure you keep them well concealed bottom of your bag. Although never happened to me, have friends who have had wallets searched.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Transfer

I had to go home few weeks ago because my dad was ill. My purse was in my handlugage like usual and they saw it when scanning my backpack.

They wanted to take my money - not a lot - but I explained why I was flying up and down for a few days and I could keep it.

Will definitely make sure not to take money out wiht me next holiday !!

London
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Transfer

It seems to be Enfidha airport they are doing the random checks. At Tunis Carthage seem to walk through immigration and security and hardly get a glance.

A couple of friends are convinced that anyone with passport full of Tunisian stamps seem to be stopped. They probably think regular returning visitors more likely to keep dinars for next visit.

4. Re: Money Transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Tunisia
Recent Conversations