We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independent travel during package tour

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Independent travel during package tour

Hello

My husband and I are booking a package trip for 2 weeks in Sousse (basically because it's as cheap as getting flights only). We will be there 23 Nov to 8 Dec and will be travelling with Thomson Holidays. During that time we are planning to leave the resort and travel independently down to the "Star Wars" sites for 3 days, followed by up to Tunis for 5 days.

I had been planning to do this by train but have read on this forum that it is difficult/slow/unreliable. I had been planning on just turning up and buying tickets/reservations a day or two before travel. Has anybody done this? Would I be better doing this by bus? Problem is neither of us speak French so it needs to be fairly straightforward.

Or should I stick to excursions / an agency? I'd much rather do it independently as I prefer to make up my own mind when I travel, eat etc. But I don't have much time to organise and I want it to be a relaxing holiday too!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Level Contributor
185 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independent travel during package tour

Hi Tracy ,when we were in Sousse in April,we had no problems using public transport.We caught the train ( which was more modern,cleaner and comfortable than our trains) from Sousse straight into Tunis ,if I remember rightly ,it took about an hour and forty mins.The train leaves from the station on the outskirts of Sousee and not the on nearest the Medina.We then caught the Metro ( which was an experience ) from Tunis to Carthage .You can also get the train from the station nearest the Medina to El Gem ,which again was an ok experience .No problems getting the tickets or travelling . The Star Wars sites Im not so sure about ,they are further out and a bit remote ,we took the 2 day organised tour and thoroughly enjoyed it .Great country .love it to bits ,enjoy x

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Independent travel during package tour

Suppose when you write Sousse you mean the airport of Enfidha.

Getting from Sousse which is about 40 km south of the airport to tunis is indeed easy.

would advise you to book at least one night in a hotel in advance. You can find cheap deals on travelrepublic.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Independent travel during package tour

sorry. Battery was dead.

We only travelled in Tunesia by car. As well our own as in rental cars.

Personally i would advise you that to go in land and to the south. Because only that way you can really enjoy the places as long as you want. Buy a good road map at home. They are hard to get here.

When you plan your travelling keep in mind that it gets dark at about 17h and roads have no lights.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Independent travel during package tour

Thanks both of you - that's really useful information. You've made me feel a lot more confident about striking out. Are there any places you'd definitely recommend along the route?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Independent travel during package tour

Hi

lot of it depends on what you would like to see.

I would advise you to see El Jem, Kairouan (not a Friday because then you can not visit the mosque), the Ribat and the mausoleum of Monastir, the museum and the medina of Sousse (the non touristique part of it).

We stayed in april a few days in Tozeur, wrote a review of our hotel on here and enjoyed that, we had our own car so we went one day to Nefta, one day we walked along the palmeria. They started to picking the dates now so it might be interesting.

We didn't see Douze because of the standstorm that was blowing.

I like the area of Matmata, where you can see the old underground Berber house. There is a very good restaurant there, Chez Abdul. It looks like a tourist trap, but it isn't.

We did all of this with our own car.

If you are in to Roman Ruins you could visit the one near Zaghouan, forgot the name now, but will try to find it back for you.

Sbeitla is bit more impressive but that area is not so safe on this moment.

In case you stay in Sousse you could visit the village of Hergla, 17 km north of Sousse, bit like Sidi Bou Said near Tunis but less touristic. Try to find the café with the roof terrace near the mosque, it overlooks the old grave yard and the sea.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Independent travel during package tour

This is the link to the Roman site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuburbo_Majus

Level Contributor
185 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Independent travel during package tour

Fabulous info maenan,,,storing it up for my next visit x

8. Re: Independent travel during package tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Tunisia