We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

2 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

Hello, did anyone travel to Tunisia recently? My boyfriend and I are going to Tunisia for a week in jan, we will just go to Tunis, monastic, hammamet and sousse. I heard about the protest and kidnap issues before, and recently I read news about recruiting Tunisian to fight in Syria ? I am just a bit concerned. If you recently traveled to Tunisia, would you share your experiences with me? Thank you so much.

Level Contributor
4,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

Ive been twice this year, last two weeks in April and from 11th to 18th December.

You really have nothing to worry about.

Just steer clear of any big gatherings like public demos etc. The resorts of Port el Kantaoui, Hammamet, Monastir, Sousse were all fine. The only thing you may have a problem with is the weather that time of year. It is not a winter sun destination altho it is a darn sight better than the UK.

Also, its a lot of travelling to do to all those places for just one week, where will you be based?

Julie

Edited: 28 December 2013, 03:48
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

Dont worry. We lived 3 months in Sousse in the spring and where there again for a month in november.

Never had any problem.

Even here in Belgium they recrute young lads for the war in Syria, suppose it also happens in the UK.

Take a warm jumper for in the evenings !

Lima, Peru
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

I have the same question. I'm in Sicily right now (Dec 2013), would love to hop down to Tunis on the Grimaldi ferry. The US govt maintains a travel warning for Tunisia, but I have no idea what that means in practice. Is it fair to assume that traveling internally without a guide is safe and rewarding?

Edited: 28 December 2013, 14:16
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

I would advise you first to check out if you need an entry visum and how much it would cost you.

Foreigners are safe in Tunisia. The only places to avoid is the border area with Algeria, not because they chase foreigners there but because of the figths in the mountains between the army and the rebels.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

Tunisia is safe and unfortunately, bears fhe brunt of media reports which are also referring to the region and not distinguishing Tunisia from the other neighboring countries. The "warning" by the US Embassy is the only warning by any country with such a severe tone. What most people are not aware of is that this "warning" has essentially, changed little and was posted following the Sept 11, 2012 attack on the American Consulate in Benghazi, which was followed by the attack on the US Embassy in Tunis on Sept. 14th, 2012. So, one can assume that there are political reasons the US has maintained this "warning" for so long, while other countries have not.

You can find comments from recent visitors to Tunisia who traveled extensivley throughout.

See what recent travelers say...

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

Many, many more recent comments from travelers who have traveled extensively arround the country by going to: www.tunisusa.com and clicking on the "youtube" channel on the upper right corner of the site

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

With a lot of respect Jerry but them interviews are only of people who did an organised tour...

I dont think you can call them people that traveled extensively.

But as said in the post before yours... Tunisia is absolutely safe. Go and enjoy it, but don't forget your common sense at home !

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

Thank you very much for all the replies! I feel much more comfortable about the trip now.

I am planning to rent a car and drive from Tunis > Hammamet > Kairouan> Sousse > Monastir, will that be a suitable route during winter time? I know it is too cold to swim right now. I want to see more local markets, turkish baths, mosques, architecture,etc. I am excited about Tunisia!!!

Thank you !!!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

We drove with our own car in Tunisia and the trip you want to do is certainly possible.

Finding a place to sleep in Kairouan might be difficult because there is not that much accomodation for Western tourists.

I would advise you to book a hotel in a central area, fe sousse - and visit Kairouan, Monastir and El Jem from there as daytrips.

In case you want to spent more then one day in Tunis (so you can also visit Carthage) you could choose to stay one or two nights overthere.

The mosque in Kairouan you can only visit in the morning and not on friday.

9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Tunisia recently?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Tunisia