We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from Sousse

London
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
day trips from Sousse

Hi,

I'll be sending 10 days in Sousse from Sunday, and wondered if anyone can give me ideas on possible day trips please? I'd like to visit Tunis. Am I correct in saying that Tunis is accessible by train?

I'll be relying in public transport by the way. Thanks for your help.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from Sousse

Let 'The Man in Seat 61' be your guide to train travel in Tunisia...

www.seat61.com/Tunisia2.htm#.UuJL-dJFBkg

There's also a metro line between Sousse-Monastir-Mahdia, which runs from a station v.close to the port. Just follow train line in the road from the Sousse Medina, go past the pirate ships and you'll soon be there. Monastir (40 minutes) and Mahdia (+50 minutes) are both worth a visit. Here's the timetable...

fahrplancenter.com/HorairesSNCFTSahelHiver.h…

The Ribat (fort) at Monastir is a lovely spot with great panoramic views from the top of the tower. And just across the road is the Mausoleum of Habib Bourguiba the founder of modern Tunisia. There's a marina at Monastir, quite a big medina, a small port, and a promenade and beach which are a bit tatty (imo)

Mahdia is a low-key seaside resort with an interesting small shaded medina, and great views from the lighhouse area.

Lots of info about all methods of transport from Sousse here...

http://wikitravel.org/en/Sousse

Don't miss the ampitheatre at El Jem...

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/38

London
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from Sousse

Thanks very much LancasterLad, that's very useful!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from Sousse

No probs.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from Sousse

I arrived home from Sousse on Wednesday.

Monastir's Ribat was closed for renovation/repair - I don't know when it is due to reopen

According to the Thomas Cook rep (perhaps someone can independently verify this), the Bardo Museum in Tunis is closed until further notice to protect its artefacts, as demonstrations are sometimes held in the nearby square. The rep also said that TC was advising against travelling independently using train/public transport, especially to Tunis, due to the possibility of demonstrations suddenly taking place in towns/cites (but he added that going to Monastir was OK). If this is TC's stance I think they should make it known before people book, as some only go on holiday to do sight-seeing independently.

Port el Kantoui, just north of Sousse, is worth a visit for a complete change of scenery - it is a purpose-built resort whose focal points are its marina and a square with a fountain, both of which are surrounded by cafes/restaurants and tourist shops.

London
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from Sousse

Thanks for the information Aurelia08. I wonder what kind of danger TC was expecting. I often imagine that demonstrations would be quite localized, and easy to avoid (well, that's my experience in London anyway). My cynical side wonders if TC say that in the hope it will increase usage of their expensive tours! I remember a holiday I had many years ago in the Canary Islands, where the tour rep warned everyone not to use any other can hire company other than the one that they were endorsing (Avis) because a previous tourist hired a car and then the brakes failed! They were making money from selling the car hire, and I didn't believe what they told me. It would be interesting to hear some independent advice.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips from Sousse

Just had a look on the website of the Bardo museum http://www.bardomuseum.tn/

Nothing mentions it is closed.

Personnally I think you can travel around in Tunisia safe.

The only place that you should avoid are the mountains on the Algerian border because there the army is fighting rebels. But that is long distance away from touristic spots.

But visiting El Jem, Kairouan,... should be possible without any problem.

Ps - as well in Sousse as in El Jem there are museums with lovely mosaics. I like them much more than the Bardo in Tunis.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips from Sousse

#5 Re: 'My cynical side wonders if TC say that in the hope it will increase usage of their expensive tours! .....'

I did wonder this myself, although when speaking to the rep I had made it clear that I would not be booking any excursions regardless. I tend to follow the UK government's FCO country advice regarding safety, travel etc. In the end I didn't visit Tunis as I enjoyed relaxing in the sun for a change, but had the weather been bad I would have gone there.

Maenan: apart from me being told by the TC rep that the museum is closed, it is also not listed on TC's trip to Tunis / Sidi Bou Said / Carthage in their current printed list of excursions. However, I have just this minute checked Thomson's online excursion list and they include it and I've also looked at TA's review page and found reviews for this month tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g293758-… . Wonder why the TC rep said it was closed?

I wonder now whether the TC rep's information was official company policy/advice - have any other TC customers been told the same?

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips from Sousse

A bit daft that the Ribat should be completely closed.

It's the No.1 attraction in Monastir, and there's quite a bit to see inside. I can understand certain parts being off limits for repairs, but to completely close the place is weird.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trips from Sousse

Hi

I think I know the rep you talk about... Seems weird he would give wrong information.

If he is still there in march I will test it ;-)

Carthago, Sidi Bou Said and the Bardo on one day seems a lot to me. Especially because most tourists are not that interested in museums.

Friends of me visited the Bardo in november by train. The tram stop in Tunis is near the station and also near the museum.

London
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trips from Sousse

Hi everyone. Thanks again for your advice so far.

I'm currently at my hotel (Marhaba Beach Hotel) and I'd like to take a train to Tunis tomorrow. Somehow it seems easier to ask advice here then the staff at the hotel!

I've checked the Seat 61 website, and there appears to be two train stations, Sousse (Ville)and Sousse (Kalaâ Séghira). Which of those two stations is closest to my hotel?

I notice that there are three classes of train carriage. Which would you recommend?

Thanks again!

Edited: 28 January 2014, 09:32