We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scams

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Scams

Not a question, just a heads-up: so many scams in Tunisia…

It’s so bad, you can’t even ask directions or he’s suddenly your guide and will demand payment. One trick is to walk into a shop for directions; they can’t leave their shop to join you. Old men and islamists are usually OK too.

Another trick is to approach you for a friendly chat, then when they find out where you’re headed (a restaurant, say), they’ll walk 20 paces ahead of you so you can’t tell them you’re not interested, show you a restaurant and demand payment. Never tell locals where you’re going; just say you’re having a wander round.

Your new friend wants to show you a carpet factory? Sounds interesting, right? It’s a scam. It’s a shop and you’ll be exposed to some extremely aggressive hard sell.

The list is endless. The same is true for Morocco.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scams

I know ,London's West End is shocking. isnt it ?

Pickpocket gangs, atm bandits , 3 card trick merchants, bogus charity collectors,clip joints,pimps, etc. etc.

All sorts of shady characters down there.;-)

Just a heads up !

Edited: 29 January 2014, 16:26
London
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scams

I thought I had out witted a hard street seller yesterday, at the Sousse Medina. He was making conversation in order to gain our trust. He said he used to work in Everton, near Liverpool. For some inexplicable reason, I somehow thought that Everton was in London, and challenged him. He was right of course, and I am so embarrassed! I might avoid that corner of the Medina for a while!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,751 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scams

Lovely....

Once a woman approached me and I thought 'ah a woman, that can not be any annoying scam'... and she wasn't...

But she kept walking up with me and the only thing she wanted was talking to me how life in Europe was, if some things she heared were real, and in case she would not find work with her university degree - how she could find work outside Tunisia...

Feld bit embarrassed at the moment it self cause she kept walking with me, when I thought afterwards it was probably her only way to stay respectfull (i was on my own) and to talk to a white European...

Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scams

Lol. Yep, same ole sorts in Cornwall too.. Cant walk into or out of any bloomin shop or supermarket without being bombarded with people selling stuff... Same sort of scams with ATM's... Its the same the world over not just Tunisia or Morocco.

Ive never had a problem in either country.. My home county i have!!!

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:12
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scams

Emile

Religion has nothing to do with it!!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scams

Most of them are just looking to earn a bob or two commission from a shop/ restaurant .that they can convince you to visit.

Harmless, though they can be a nuisance

Just say no and walk by Simple solution.

I recall few years back in Yasmine Hammamet

Guy walking toward me , usual eye contact.

I knew straight away

Here we go, waiter in the hotel routine coming up. Better than that.

This guy said

" No! no! I am not your waiter I am head of security for Yasmine Medina. Let me show you round !"

I burst out laughing. Then he couldn't keep a straight face and laughed as well.

Gave him a bottle of water and a couple of smokes for his sense of humour.

This ,head of security mind.

Well he was dressed in a 1980s English club football top and a pair of trainers that looked like they had endured 10 marathons.

But he did have a newer more modern mobile phone than me ;-)

So he must be doing ok.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:20
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scams

Julie

A troll . Ignore it

I didn't -)

However anyone coming on with a genuine concern does in the main get good advice for when out and about in the resorts.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:23
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scams

Julie: Never said it did.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:37
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scams

Emile

We all start somewhere.

However, you chose your first ever post on TA (with that username ) to put forward a negative viewpoint

So yes, I am suspicious that you have an ulterior motive, or are you just having a boring day ;-)

Do you have any positive things to say about your visit or visits to Tunisia ?

Like your hotel, or restaurants you ate at?

Or did you gleam what you wrote from the internet?

Edited: 29 January 2014, 17:44
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scams

You mentioned Islamists???

Get answers to your questions about Tunisia