We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tunisia Customs: Camera drone warning

Canton of Basel...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
12 helpful votes
Tunisia Customs: Camera drone warning
Save

Just a warning to fellow travellers, do not bring into the country any form of camera drones as they will be confiscated upon entry. I brought in my consumer DJI Phantom drone into Djerba and not only was it impounded by customs, but I was also interrogated by airport police for 2 hours. Hopefully I should get it back when I leave, but to be honest I am not that hopeful anymore.

Take care

Canton of Basel...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Tunisia Customs: Camera drone warning
Save

P.s just to head off any 'told you so' comments :-)

I did research thoroughly and even contacted the Tunisian embassy and they told me that there were no such restrictions or notices on camera drones. I mentioned this to the customs agent, but he didn't seem to care

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
34 reviews
48 helpful votes
2. Re: Tunisia Customs: Camera drone warning
Save

Interesting subject.

You might like to read this link, and then e-mail dronesden...

http://www.dronesden.com/how-can-i-travel-abroad-with-my-drone/

You could also post your experience on the TA Air Travel Forum.

Got to admit though, that these contraptions can be intrusive, and I've seen sunbathers [not in Tunisia] giving the 'pilot' a right mouthful of advice as to what to do with their toy.

Belgium
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
26 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Tunisia Customs: Camera drone warning
Save

What where you going to do with it???

Canton of Basel...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Tunisia Customs: Camera drone warning
Save

I was planning to take beautiful videos and photos from a completely different perspective. These things are becoming increasingly popular, common and cheap in the West and used correctly, respectfully and with permission they usually pose no danger to anyone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eNBAdrzyiZU

I'm not blaming the Tunisian authorities as they have a right to ban anything they like (the agent actually told me that even binoculours are banned). I just want to warn others in case they're planning on bringing one since the laws on drone use vary wildly across the globe.

Edited: 8 years ago
County Durham...
Level Contributor
3,132 posts
124 reviews
102 helpful votes
5. Re: Tunisia Customs: Camera drone warning
Save

This has been an education for me!

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
7 helpful votes
6. Re: Tunisia Customs: Camera drone warning
Save

Thanks for the warning! I see drones den has already updated their list http://www.dronesden.com/how-can-i-travel-abroad-with-my-drone/

7. Re: Tunisia Customs: Camera drone warning

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Tunisia
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.