We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

Which Tunis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
durham
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

Hi,

I would appreciate any instructions how to get from the cruise ship to the TGM Station in La Goulette in order to make our way into the centre of Tunis i.e. time involved and cost of train fare. I understand it is better to pay in the local currency or do they take the euro or dollar? I know its only a short distance and takes only a little time to arrive there. I have only been to La Goulette once and know the main street there. Thanks in advance.

TUNISIA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

Hi Stokerej..

Welcome to Tunisia ...

I'm Tunisian, I live in the suburb of Tunis.

Well it depends wich birth will be docked your Cruise ship.

Any how you should go to the main exit gate of La goulette's harbour. Then you go straigh a head until you get to la Goulette, then you turn left to the T.G.M train station.

The trip will take about 15/20' to Habib Bourguiba station in Tunis.

You have to use Tunisian currency to buy your ticket, so you can exchange your $/£/ euros at the bank in La Goulette.

Feel free to write me,we can even meet if you wish.

Have a nice trip.

durham
Level Contributor
140 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

Thank you so much for your reply. I was unaware that there was more than one port so it may be wise to find out where the ship will dock. Once I have this information to hand, I will post again and perhaps you may be able to assist me further. Thanks again.

TUNISIA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

To the kind attention of Mr/Mrs Stokerej.

All your questions will be welcome.

As I'm a professionnal Tour Guide, and A Consultant,

I presume that your cruise will dock at La Goulette.

Well make sure otherwise if you give me the name of the ship,I will be able to inform you about the port of call.Normally all the cruise ship use La Goulette if the land excursions planned are Tunis/the Bardo museum/Carthage/ or Shopping in the Medina.

If you need a Tour Guide to assist you,feel free to contact me.

Have a nice cruise and a lovely journey.

Welcome to Tunisia.

Ben

Hull,
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

Hi There

I have been reading the reply for information on the train from La Goulette into tunis. You mentioned we would have to pay in Dinar as opposed to euros. Is this still the case and do you know how much the return fare would be? We are travelling on the Ocean Village in June and are lookig forward to our visit to Tunisia.

Thanks Sparkysue

5. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 12:47
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

Hello,

Our ship arrives in La Goulette at 7:00am. We would like to train to Tunis and then to Sidi Bou Said.

At what time does the bank open and is there one close to the harbour?

Thanks in advance

John

Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

We just did this on 5/26/09 and had a great day. You do need Tunisian dinars for the train, but no need to wait for the banks to open. From the train station, go right into town about a block, and there is a prominent ATM at the end of the street. We had no difficulty getting enough dinars. In fact, we got 80 and spent less than 40, but were able to change our excess for euros with a vendor in the terminal shops as we got back on the ship.

I have posted detailed directions for taking the train from La Goulette to Carthage here:

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

Thanks for your quick response. Your post on CC is very informative and will be useful. One question,

How frequent is the trains service to and from La Goulette?

John

Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

The trains are very frequent. We only waited about 5 minutes.

Europe
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: TGM train from La Goulette Port into centre

On this map you can see the ferry terminal and the trains stations nearby:

www.alloftunisia.com/map.htm…