We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs and currency

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Topic
ATMs and currency

We are flying British Airways into Tunis airport and wil need to get some Tunisian currency when we arrive.

Are there ATMs in the arrivals hall at Tunis airport and where are they?

Is it best to take sterling, dollars or Euros as our reserve cash - or doesn't it make any difference?

Thanks

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATMs and currency

Eesw,

Hello and i flew into Tunis last month and just after baggage reclaim you will see the money exchange and this is the norm in most of the Tunisian airports and the currency is a closed currency and can only be purchased in the country.

I always take sterling and change as i go along and your hotel will display the exchanges everyday and it does not fluctuate and all around the resorts and big cities there will be plenty of Atms and Banks.

Good luck Toby.

Edited: 31 October 2011, 21:36
Hammamet, Tunisia
Destination Expert
for Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATMs and currency

as above take some sterling, and change it at the airport, in the towns, lots of atm's

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ATMs and currency

Thanks for such a quick and helpful response.

UK
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATMs and currency

We normally change our sterling at the Bureau de Change desk in the baggage reclaim area but last time we flew in to Tunis found this was temporarily closed. We walked through to the arrivals hall where there were a number of exchange desks, operated by different Banks, with little or no queuing.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ATMs and currency

Thanks - it sounds easy and we shouldn't have a problem. Having been caught out in the past I like to be prepared.

London
Level Contributor
8,195 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATMs and currency

Yes the exchange desk near baggage reclaim does seem closed most of the time but to best of my memory there is an ATM machine in baggage reclaim area. As mentioned there are further exchange desks once through customs area.

7. Re: ATMs and currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 04:18