We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tunisia or Malta

Lincoln, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Tunisia or Malta

Tunisia or Malta?

Me and my boyfriend are looking to go on holiday in July 2014 and are stuck on whether to go to Malta or Tunisia. I have found good deals for both places.

Being a young couple of 18 and 19 we are looking for bars that we can go to in the evening (nothing too wild), a nice beach, some shopping areas or markets to have a walk round. Quad biking? animal reserves?

How expensive are drinks and food when you get out there?

Any thoughts.....

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tunisia or Malta

Hi, I've never been to Malta, but love Tunisia (I have stayed at Port el Kantaoui, which is a purpose-built resort around a marina, and also in the traditional city of Sousse). I find Tunisia to be very cheap - I'm going to Sousse again on Wednesday so will note current examples of meal/drink/supermarket prices shortly. I remember doing a 45 minute bus journey a couple of years ago and it only cost 50p!

The medinas in Sousse and Tunis are great if you like haggling the prices - and there are also fixed-price shops in and outside the medinas, which are useful for getting an idea of prices.

Many people stay in the hotel during the evenings (especially if doing all-inclusive), although there are bars around the resorts as well (despite it being a Muslim country). There are a number of sports bars around - football is a national sport and I have often found English matches being shown :-) in hotels and in bars.

Note that hotels are very spread-out along the coast, with some being situated 45 minutes' walk from resort centres - no problem if you do your research.

I have found that many people speak English in the tourist resorts, but when I go to less touristy-areas of the country I find the French I learnt at school is useful.

Replies #19 & #20 on the following TA link will give you an idea of the sorts of excursions/things to do in Tunisia. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g295401-i9123-k6…

Edited: 06 January 2014, 17:29
Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tunisia or Malta

I go to Malta and Tunisia a lot. Night life in Malta to be honest is far better, drinking out far cheaper in Malta too. Hotels in Tunisia are far better than in Malta. Malta is small and easy to get around.

Beaches in Tunisia are better, shopping in Malta is more relaxed, no hassle with bartering or shop keepers hassling you in to shops. I love both places you have to decide what suits you.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 03:25
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tunisia or Malta

Two totally different destinations!

When we are in Malta we sightsee and never set foot on a beach,not that there are any in the popular resorts.

Tunisia have great hotels and we just stroll around the resorts and tend to laze about some days.

Have a look at the resort guides as they are as different as chalk and cheese.I love both places very much.

4. Re: Tunisia or Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 23:42
Tunis, Tunisia
Level Contributor
42 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tunisia or Malta

Tunisia can offer you a different culture, great weather, desert trips/excursions, good quality hotels (depending on the star rating. Whereas Malta will you give a more european influence, very clean compared with tunisia, and also more bars etc as you are 18/19.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tunisia or Malta

I have been to both, and as you are a young couple pick one this year,

then save next year to do the other, big world out there

Level Contributor
4,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tunisia or Malta

The OP posted this in January and has not come back to the forum since this first post, so you could very well be wasting your time giving advice on this.

Frankfurt Am Main
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tunisia or Malta

I'm sorry to say that you don't know what you are talking about. Xlendi and Victoria are in Gozo (one of the Maltese islands and not Malta).

I was in Djerba Tunisia last weekend, in a 5-star expensive hotel. The staff in the hotel did not know a word of English - this is not uncommon because the Tunisian hotels are geared up for French holiday makers (usually families with young and loud children). The entertainment in the hotel was rubbish and the food was poor. The hotel room was run-down and it seemed as if the place hadn't had some maintenance in ages. This is a far cry from what I had experienced when I went to port el-kantaoui 10 years ago...

In my honest opinion, Tunisia is best for families looking for a cheap all inclusive holiday, but as they say, pay peanuts get monkeys... don't expect anything spectacular and expect to spend all your day in the resort with occasional excursions (the centre of Djerba is tiny). In Tunisia you can experience camel riding, quad biking and water sports - but these are not cheap anymore and you can expect to pay the same prices you would pay in all major Mediterranean countries.

Maltese hotels are more expensive and offer less in terms of entertainment, but this is because Malta itself has much more to offer in terms of culture, fun and clubbing (amongst other things). There are currently a number of festivals going on that would hit anyone's taste. Alcohol is accessible and cheap (I paid 10 Euro for a vodka tonic in my hotel in Djerba) here a drink would cost you around 2.50/3 Euro from the bars in Paceville (the main Maltese entertainment area). In Malta you will find loads to do (i.e. all you will find in Tunisia and more) except for the camel riding. The prices might be slightly higher but not much more expensive - and you will make this up with what you will be saving on your gin/vodka :)

So, in summary - if you are looking for a week in an all-inclusive hotel go for Tunisia, if you want a bit more Malta. Ps. I cannot comment on the quality of the top top hotels in Djerba as I didn't stay there but then the prices of these hotels are very expensive.

Level Contributor
4,793 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tunisia or Malta

Marc P

Like i said in reply #7, you have just probably wasted your time writing that, the OP has not been on the forum since.

As for you staying at a 5 star on Djerba??

5star is not the same as 5star European standards!!

It may help if you stated which hotel you disliked so much?

Seems like you may of picked a hotel thats geared towards the French market., because French is one of the main languages spoken by Tunisians, but ive never gone into a '5star hotel' where nobody spoke any English at all!!

Ive even gone into little family run, back street shops where the people speak a little English.

You could always learn French or even better, Arabic, seeing as its their country and it may help.

Maybe if you had come onto the forum before you booked your holiday then you may of got some better advice!!

Edited: 21 July 2014, 11:39
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,771 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tunisia or Malta

Xlendi and victoria are on gozo,tunisean chef,not Malta,gozo is a small malteese island very beautiful,with historical sights,Malta is the largest malteese island,is very geared towards tourists of all nationalities,is very beautiful,tons of history,not many beaches but there are a few melliah bay being the highest and best,Malta hotels are ok,proveding you book 4 or 5 star,anything below that is what the package says it is a cheap hotel,these hotels are a lot cheaper so you get what you pay for im afraid,Malta has loads of bars depending on what town you in a pint starts at 1.50 to 3.00 eoros,shorts and mixers 2 to 4 eoros,btakfasts 4 to 6 euros,burgers pizzas etc 6 euros upwards,main courses 7 euros upwards,set menus 3 courses from 12 euros,obvisouly the towns like bugibba/qawra/st Pauls are cheaper that silema/st julians/mdina and valletta tha capitol,loads of shops markets different towns different days,i like both Malta and Tunisia,think there both great but they are different,before some one points out the op never came back on i know,but it got my hackles going when the tunisean chef advised some one about Malta,and he isn't on the island Malta hes on gozo lol