We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off Roading in Hwange and Mana Pools?

usa
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Off Roading in Hwange and Mana Pools?

When going on game drives, are you allowed to go off track in Hwange and Mana Pools?

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off Roading in Hwange and Mana Pools?

I can't speak about Mana Pools (although I would guess NOT). Definitely not in Hwange on self-drive game viewing.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
953 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off Roading in Hwange and Mana Pools?

You are not allowed to take your vehicle off the defined tracks in Mana.

However, the great thing about Mana is you are permitted to walk, unguided (at your own risk of course) anywhere you want.

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Off Roading in Hwange and Mana Pools?

Is off-roading one of your criteria?

harare
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off Roading in Hwange and Mana Pools?

as a professional guide working in both national parks i can confirm that there is NO off roading in any national park in zim except by specific permission. you can walk in mana pools at your own risk, not in hwange though. there are safari companies who can assist with walks and drives in private concessions.

usa
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Off Roading in Hwange and Mana Pools?

My two experiences on safari have been Tanzania and Botswana. What I really like about Botswana was the ability to get close to the animals and position the vehicle for better pictures. On top of this, being able to track the animals was a real rush. This is why I was asking about the off road possibilitis in Hwange and Mana Pools.

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Off Roading in Hwange and Mana Pools?

Going into eco sensitive areas with a 4x4 requires responsible use of existing roads and tracks, breaking new ground is a no-no. You encourage other drivers to follow in your tracks and if they are leading nowhere in particular, what is the point. After kitting out your 4x4, the next thing to invest in is a really good telephoto lens. Game and birds always seem to be too far away and getting any closer, you usually enter the animal’s happy zone and they move off anyway. Remember that Elephant for instance, are reacting far more negatively to close encounters with humans and you do not want to be lying upside down in your vehicle in some remote part of Africa.

If you are looking for a Park that will test your vehicle and driving skills, go to Gonarezhou via Pfuri in Zimbabwe or Kaudum in Namibia, you will need to be at least 2 vehicles to get into the latter. You can see www.africanadventureclub.org for some info on Gonarezhou. Hope this helps.

7. Re: Off Roading in Hwange and Mana Pools?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 07:18