We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls and Cape Town

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Falls and Cape Town

We are planning a trip to Victoria Falls and Cape Town for Feb or March 2012. Is that a good time to visit the falls and to take day trip safaris to Mana Pools, Chobe and/or Hwange? We want to travel for 2-3 weeks. We'd love to see the big game animals as well as tour South Africa, the wineries and the lovely coast.

There seems to be so much to see and do but we are trying not to have to take too many flights.

We have yet to finalize our itinerary and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Atthebeach

Shearwater Victoria Falls - Day Trips
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris
Discover Safaris
Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Cape Town
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Falls and Cape Town

Hi Primehook,

As you are travelling for 2-3 weeks, I'd probably recommend that you spend a week in Cape Town. Base yourself in one place and explore the surrounding areas from there.

To get to Victoria Falls from Cape Town, you will most likely fly via Johannesburg. I'd then recommend you spend minimum 3 nights there. It is possible to do a day trip to Chobe from Victoria Falls, mysafari.com/african-blog/…

However I would not recommend a day trip to Mana Pools or Hwange. I understand your reluctance to fly around too much, however you would be severely shortchanging yourself. The flights to Hwange/Mana Pools are an activity in themselves as the scenery is spectacular and you get to see a different perspective of the countries you will be visiting. Also to do justice to Hwange/Mana Pools you will need at least 3 nights.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Falls and Cape Town

Thank you for your reply. We were thinking of going in Feb. My guess is that Victoria Falls would be nice and Cape Town but viewing any wildlife would be out. Am I correct?

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
886 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Falls and Cape Town

Hi

Zambezi Airways have just introduced a direct flight from Capetown to Victoria Falls.

The Falls in February will be very full although not quite at there peak which is normally at the end of April. Temperatures will be lovely, but it is the rainy season so you can expect big thunderstorm in the afternoons.

As far as game viewing is concerned from Victoria falls you can easily access 3 major national parks for Game viewing. These are the Zambezi National park(close to the Falls), Chobe national park in Botswana only about and 80km drive away ( day trips can easily be organised) or Hwnage national park which is about 150kms away and again is easily accessed via transfers, there are several differnet accommodation options in Hwange dependant on your budget.

Chobe and Hwange are awesome national parks and you will see good game. February is as I said in the middle of the rains so much of the game has dispersed to the summer feeding grounds so game veiwing is not as intense as say in Semptember when all the animal congregate around the waterholes.

February is known as the green season and has its own magic, like this is when many of the plains game animals have their young.

Although Mana pools is probably one of the best Parks in Africa, it logistically would be very difficult for you to get to as it is very far from Victoria Falls and requires private air charters, or your own vehicle.

Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Falls and Cape Town

I would also suggest if you get to see great Zimbabwe monument or you can do one 4 to 6 days that covers Victoria falls chobe and okavango delta in Botswana. good itineraries are there if you need them.

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Falls and Cape Town

Thank you for the wonderful information. We have now decided to go in late May/early June when there seems to be more options for game viewing in either Chobe or Hwange, which will go for a few days. My husband is leaning towards Hwange. Would that be a good choice?

Thanks!

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Falls and Cape Town

We recently took a Tauck tour to South Africa, I think it was call the Elegant Adventure, in February. Weather was sublime; it rained one evening while we were on safari and it was fabulous! All the animals were standing and getting wet. Check Tauck itinerary on line and follow that if you care to. We do that often when we travel abroad alone. You will love, love, love South Africa. If you can do a safari or two; we did Sabi Sabi Game Reserve and Tinga in Kruger. AMAZING. Victoria Falls is awesome. Make sure you cover your camera, some folks got theirs all wet from the spray!

Must See Camps Bay beach, in Cape Town. Take the Hop on Hop off bus in Cape Town and it will take you to Table Mountain, through town and down by the sea. Don't miss this beach front little gem!

Edited: 06 August 2011, 19:48
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Falls and Cape Town

We recently took a Tauck tour to South Africa, I think it was call the Elegant Adventure, in February. Weather was sublime; it rained one evening while we were on safari and it was fabulous! All the animals were standing and getting wet. Check Tauck itinerary on line and follow that if you care to. We do that often when we travel abroad alone. You will love, love, love South Africa. If you can do a safari or two; we did Sabi Sabi Game Reserve and Tinga in Kruger. AMAZING. Victoria Falls is awesome. Make sure you cover your camera, some folks got theirs all wet from the spray!

Must See Camps Bay beach, in Cape Town. Take the Hop on Hop off bus in Cape Town and it will take you to Table Mountain, through town and down by the sea. Don't miss this beach front little gem!

Edited: 06 August 2011, 19:49
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
92 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Falls and Cape Town

I was in all those places from december to february of this year and I can tell you that march is a good time. Maybe end of raining season. If you start in Zimbabwe. Victoria Falls is just for 2 or 3 days (see the watter falls in afternoon or morning). Rafting is amazing but I am not sure if they are doing rafting in february because it is dangerous in the raining season. They offer 1 day rafting or half day. Have an afternoon tea at the fancy Victoria Falls Hotel and a nice dinner at Boma Restaurant.

If you go to safaris the right place is Botswana (Chobe National Park), I was there in january and I saw the 4 Big Five (leopard, plenty of elephants, lions and buffalos), they also have amazing boat trip along the river to see crocodiles and hippos. One day is enough and you can book a safari at Victoria Falls for one day trip or just go to Botswana and pay in on of the hotels there for a good deal. Okavango Delta is beautiful also, you can see the world's largest inland delta and see beautiful cristaline water and crocodiles and hippos also. Moreni Game Reserve is amazing (1 day in Chobe and 2 or 3 days in Maun to check the Okavango Delta really worth it).

Spend at least 1 day in Cape Town and taste wineries for a day trip. Rent one day car if you are more than one person and share the cost to go to Cape of Good Hope (beautiful historical place) and Simons town to see penguins and a nice brunch.

You will have for sure plenty of time to take buses from one place to another. Victoria Falls to Chobe, Chobe to Maun, Maun to South Africa ( they have one bus not daily from Maun to Johannesburg in South Africa and try to book in advance). Spend a night in Joburg if you like Apartheid Museum. From Joburg to Cape Town is a long way by bus, unless you want to go to Kruger Park and do more safaris.... but I recommend you to fly instead of buses or train (some travelers told me that by train they have a good views)....It is quite a long way, check out this website

capetown.dj/toJohannesburg/Johannesburg.html

Once you get in CT. I would recommend you to stay in Long Street, full of bars, night life and the hostels are just along this Long Street. You can take a walk to the watterfront, take a bus to the beaches or table mountain for a hiking. Lion's head is also beautiful and offers you a good view of the city. The city is amazing and everything seems to work easily. They also have bus tour to hop on and hop off to see the main touristic attractions. It is really worth it. Try to spare half of your day and visit Robben Island (it takes you 3 or 4 hours the entire tour including ferry and island tour), this place is such amazing and you will visit one of the famous prison where the legendary Nelon Mandela spent part of his life there. In January I spent 7 days in Cape Town and it is a great experience. I strongly recommended this city.

Edited: 14 August 2011, 02:50
9. Re: Victoria Falls and Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 07:16