We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for Canadians

Vancouver
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for Canadians

We 'will be traveling to Africa in January. We will be traveling to 6 countries, 4 of which need a visa - I can get all the visa's in Canada but for each one the embassy charges between $50 and $200 per person plus the charge of the visa. Should I get my visas in Canada or wait and get them at the airports. Countries are Zimbabwe, Zambia, Kenya and Uganda. thanks for helping.

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for Canadians

Regards Zambia and Zimbabwe you can buy your visa's on arrival at the respective border posts. However if you can obtain your visa's prior to arriving you will save your self a long wait in the visa buying line. I don't know about Uganda and Kenya.

Zimbabwe Single Entry Visa: US$75

Zambia Single Entry Visa: US$50

Vancouver
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for Canadians

thank you. I guess we have decide between dollars and time in line. The cost of a Zim visa in Canada is about $200.

Can you advice on a visa to Zimbabwe when we are entering 3 times. I read on Trip Advisor that for Canadians a multiple entry is for only 2 times. Do you know anything about this?

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for Canadians

Have just given immigration a call, Canadian Nationals can only pruchase a single enty visa on arrival at the border. So best to purchase your double/multiple entry visa back home.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for Canadians

thanks for the help.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa for Canadians

I just got a multiple entry visa for Zambia and only paid $80 US. I sent in the application to the Zambian High Commission in Ottawa and had my passport returned with a stamp within 3 weeks. I don't understand where you're being quoted $200 unless you're looking at visa agencies that charge you a fee for preparing the applications.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa for Canadians

thanks I will try looking for that address and information - I would rather have the visa's before I leave. We need 4 visa for 4 different countries which may be a challenge for us to get all 4 before we leave. thanks for the advice.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa for Canadians

I just got off the phone the the ZIM embassy in Ottawa. They are no longer issuing anything other than single-entry visas to Canadians in advance of travel. It's $100 for a single entry. Once arriving, you can upgrade to a double or multiple entry visa at an additional cost.

You don't need to get the visa in advance, however. You can get it on arrival. They will still make you buy a single entry and then upgrade to a double or multiple entry.

Pain in the butt.

Maybe someone else can phone and see if you get the same info. 613-421-2824

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa for Canadians

Here is the site for Zambia: www.zambiahighcommission.ca/pdf/app_visa.pdf

If the link doesn't work, just go to www.zambiahighcommission.ca, click on 'Foreigners' on the left hand side, and click 'Visa Requirement Guidelines'. This is the official website for the Zambian High Commission in Canada so I would hope it's accurate.

I agree it would be a good idea to get visas in order before you leave, especially if you plan to enter a country multiple times. Otherwise, you are most likely able to get single entry once you're there. I plan to get a single entry visa for Zimbabwe on arrival. I'm a little confused about the price of a single entry visa for Canadians entering Zimbabwe now... I thought it was $75 but am now hearing $100.

There is so much to think about when travelling to various countries! I wish you luck :) Now I'm off to do some more digging on the price of a ZIM visa...

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa for Canadians

In Kenya I got my visa on arrival in Nairobi.

Yes there was a bit of a line altho not a long one but then who cares, you're in Africa!!!! :)

Besides don't you have to send in your passport when applying here? Not something I would be comfortable with.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa for Canadians

As a follow up, in case it still matters... I just returned from Zimbabwe and the single entry visa is $75 for Canadians upon arrival!