We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harare Airport

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
99 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Harare Airport

My husband and I have booked an amazing trip to Zimbabwe as our first African safari in September 2012. We used the services of a travel agent who posts here often & have ben thrilled with their service & suggestions so far.

Our travels will take us from the US, through Johannesburg (overnight) to Victoria Falls (overnight) and then 3 nights each in Little Makalolo @ Hwange, Musango Safari Camp @ Lake Kariba and Ruckomechi @ Mana Pools.

My only concern after reading / research is that we fly out of Harare airport to Johannesburg after leaving Ruckomechi. Is crime or being held up at the border a concern in the Harare airport? I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to see if changing to fly out of Victoria Falls is possible. (Acknowledging that there may be a cost involved.) We are very excited about this trip!

Thank you in advance for any input / information you can provide.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
925 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harare Airport

I have flown out of Harare airport numerous time over the last 12 years or so and have never encountered any crime there.

Intermittent electricity supply sometimes necessitates a manual check-in process, but the staff are well used to this and it isn't as slow as you might imagine.

With regards to clearing customs, again, it is as speedy as any medium sized airport and again I have never experienced anything untoward.

If you leave a sensible amount of time for getting through the airport, I would expect things to be absolutely fine.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
99 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harare Airport

whyone, thank you kindly for the information and taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harare Airport

I've flown out of Harare a few times in the last 5 years and have never had an issue. The airport itself is actually quite nice. Definitely better than some other African airports i've flown into (Nairobi is a LOT worse!!) Departure lounge is modern and comfortable. I already have flights booked to go back out there in September. There's nothing to worry about, just go and enjoy your holiday!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
99 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harare Airport

Thank you, phil82_11! That's exactly what we will do.

5. Re: Harare Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 10:20