We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear for Boats? Flip flops or Tevas for camp?

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Footwear for Boats? Flip flops or Tevas for camp?

Still trying to figure out the footwear for our trip (less than 3 weeks!).

Trying to decide between regular sneakers or my Goretex sneakers (heavier and not as comfortable) for main footwear, and between flip flops and Tevas for my second/camp pair.

What do people wear on boats at Imbabala and Victoria Falls? Do you need to worry about getting your shoes wet?

When I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Kenya, I learned early on that should always wear shoes and not go barefoot. Without going into gross detail, got a worm growing and laying eggs on a toe. Is this an issue in Zimbabwe? I don't even know what this thing was called. The US army calls them "skin worms" and recommends for East Africa "Do not walk barefoot or contact soil with bare hands. If soil contact occurs, thoroughly and immediately wash with soap and water"

Flip flops dry faster and could be used around camp and in showers but don't do well if climbing in and out of a boat or walking any distance (especially if thorns are around). Tevas are heavier, and take longer to dry.

Thanks so much.

1. Re: Footwear for Boats? Flip flops or Tevas for camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:40