We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best shoes for Rafting?

Morrison, Colorado...
11 posts
Save Topic
Best shoes for Rafting?

Our group will be doing the rafting trip in late September 2013.

I have read most of the post on this subject. So we are prepared

for the hike into and out of the gorge. My question is what type of

shoes are the best for the hike and rafting? Would Teva sandals

or Chacos work or is there a better type of shoe? I also get the

impression only the clothes on your back is necessary. Are sunglasses

pointless due to all the water?

Thanks for the advice!!!

Bedford, Virginia
Level Contributor
457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best shoes for Rafting?

If you do the full day rafting I believe they have a lift now so no hiking. If half day, anything with a heel strap will be fine. I would take sunglasses but with chums firmly attached to your head. Sunscreen and no extra clothes.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best shoes for Rafting?

The lift is only operational on the Zambian side, if you raft in Zimbabwe you still have to walk out. Teva's are ideal, basically you need comfortable shoes for the walk in and out, in the raft you don't need shoes, but whatever you wear is going to get wet so something quick drying like a sandal is best.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best shoes for Rafting?

Take tennis shoes you were going to trash. The day after rafting you will find someone that will treasure your throwaway tennies. It's a great gift.

4. Re: Best shoes for Rafting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 06:17