We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beit Bridge Musina border crossing

geneva
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Beit Bridge Musina border crossing

Hello, we are still trying to figure out how to do it.

After looking into crossing the border with a bus (Greyhound seems the best bet, thanks BoPeel) we are now thinking that we could just drive a car rental.

However we are apparently not allowed to take an Avis car from Zimbabwe into SA.

Our thought is to return the car in Beit Bridge , take a taxi to cross the border and rent another car in Musina.

Can we do that easily and painlessly or are we going to be harassed by touts at the border? Is it easier to cross the border with Greyhound ?

the advantage of driving ourselves to Beit Bridge is that we can cross the border during daytime hours.It seems to always be late at night with the buses and we are not keen on night drives.

Thanks for your input and suggestions

Caviar

Mentioned in this post
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beit Bridge Musina border crossing

Probably a better place to ask this is on http://4x4community.co.za/forum/

Britz allows vehicles to Zimbabwe, I think http://www.britz.co.za/36.4x4-Rentals.htm Probably more expensive though.

There are horror stories about going North through the Beit Bridge border post of 6-8 hour waits and kind of being forced to pay touts, if you ever want to get through. I have no personal experience of this, as we have only used the border to come South, which isn't supposed to be a problem and wasn't for us (1 1/2 for both sides).

South Africans tend to go to Zimbabwe via Botswana, which is what we will be doing next month.

Mentioned in this post
geneva
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beit Bridge Musina border crossing

Hello Lamlee, nice to hear from you and thanks for taking the time to respond.

Actually we are looking into crossing the border FROM Beitbridge to Musina, so that sounds easier, which is good news.

Thanks for the tip on rentals with Britz rentals, I will check into it as well.

My other question is about how easy or difficult it will be to find a hired taxi to take us across the border to Musina after we have dropped off our car rental in Beitbridge if we cannot drive the rental into SA...any suggestions?

thanks again

Catherine

3. Re: Beit Bridge Musina border crossing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 06:19