We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Falls money

Paris, France
Level Contributor
70 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria Falls money

Hi

Can I use USD in Victoria Falls for the food and others or it's better/necessary to change money What's the best place to do ? at the airport ?)

The same question if you know in Livingstone Zambia

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Falls money

<<Can I use USD in Victoria Falls for the food and others>>

US$ is the "de-facto" currency of Zimbabwe, since the Zim dollar died several years ago.

SA rand and Botswana Pula can be used, but the rate will be pretty poor. ATMs will dispense US$.

Zambia require all purchases to be made in Zambia Kwacha, but these can be obtained at the airport or a forex or use an ATM card to withdraw cash. (note Visa is king, MasterCard/Amex are much less likely to be accepted)

Make sure you have spent/exchanged your Kwacha before leaving as they will be not exchangeable outside Zambia

Ivan

Paris, France
Level Contributor
70 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Falls money

Thank you Mr Ivan for this quick information.

I will drive from Zimbabwe to Livingstone so can I change dollars in the town or I have to find an ATM

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Falls money

<<so can I change dollars in the town or I have to find an ATM>>

You will find a forex at the border, or in Livingstone town, so you can change US$ into Kwacha, just ask, BUT don't use a "street money changer" at the border, (or anywhere for that matter) as these are quite likely to swindle you. Use an ATM is the safest, (but watch for all the usual tricks, like shoulder surfing, offering to help, etc) or a "proper" forex who will probably give a better rate than the bank. (this changes all the time, due to the current financial situation, so you wont know until you get there).

Ivan

Paris, France
Level Contributor
70 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Falls money

Thank you again, I will follow your advice

Paris, France
Level Contributor
70 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Falls money

I am from Eurozone. Do you think I can change easily the Euro currency ?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Falls money

"US$ is the "de-facto" currency of Zimbabwe, since the Zim dollar died several years ago." They use dollars, but they do not use American coins. They use South African coins for change.

"SA rand and Botswana Pula can be used, but the rate will be pretty poor." They use a standard $1=South African Rand 10.00 exchange rate in Zim. We were often given change in Rand Notes, but maybe that's because they knew we were South African.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria Falls money

It is often better to take your dollars with you as some of the dollar notes in circulation are really old and tatty.

Take smaller notes like $1, $5 and $10s.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
70 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria Falls money

Ok I will look for small new USD.

I see you are from Port Elisabeth.

Actually,February the15th in the morning I am leaving Montagu and 17th at 5PM I fly from Port Elisabeth to JBG

It's a long haul and don't know how to divide it / where to stop overnight to make it relaxful and interesting.

I was thinking about Outshoorn for one night but apparently if I drive there it will be necessary to drive again to the Swartberg pass , so too much in the carf or one day.

Shall I drive directly toward Knysna or Tsitsikama Park and stay there until 17th ?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria Falls money

Hi jamajka57, Yes you can take Euro and change at a forex, OK in Zambia, as you have to use local anyway although visa is paid for in US$ except its been reported that they have started to accept credit/debit cards. But as I said, US$ is the prime currency in Zim, so its best to take some US$, and get the rest from an ATM. Note that poor quality US$ notes will not be accepted in Zambia.

Ivan

Paris, France
Level Contributor
70 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victoria Falls money

Thank you Ivan