We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

Used to visit Hwange from time to time and always stayed in the govt chalets. But my last visit to this park was 1996. The latest report i can see on TA forum from someone who stayed in a govt camp/chalet was May 2012... 2 years ago! Things change.

Hence my request: Anyone done a trip to Main Camp, Robins, Sinametella recently? i.e. within last 3 months or so? Any info welcome. The lack of tourists makes Hwange appealing but it's a trek to get there and i refuse to use Beit Bridge. Lodges are beyond my budget esp when building-in cost of getting there.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
812 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

We stay in these lodges all the time at all 3 locations. They are what they are, perfectly functional and clean, with a few things that don't work occasionally, but more than adequate. Well worth it!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

Cheers. We just have a car. Do the chalet fridges work?

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
812 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

Most of them do, infact some of the lodges have brand new fridges. If you have a problem when you are there just tell them and they will do their best to sort it our for you.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

cheers BooPeel. Confirm by 'lodges' you mean govt chalets?

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
864 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

I am pretty sure the 'government chalets' you refer to are National Parks lodges. I have never heard of 'government chalets' in Zim.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

'Chalet' was the only term used for first 40+yrs of their existence. Govt probably has upgraded name to 'Lodge' but not upgraded anything else. I hope some have new fridges as it is an essential.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
812 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

As per Whyone's description - the government chalets we are referring to are National Parks Accommodation. Within this accommodation there are Lodges, Chalets, Cottages and camping these different types of accommodation are different sizes, quality and price. Generally the Lodges will be better equipped and have kitchens with Fridges - chalets and cottages will be less equipped and have communal kitchens and only some will have a fridges.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

ok. Thanks for the detail. I need a fridge and will have to check which is which carefully.

9. Re: Govt camps and chalets in Hwange... any recent reports?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:16