We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from VF to Bulawayo

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Train from VF to Bulawayo

Has anyone recently taken the overnight train from Victoria Falls to Bulawayo? How safe for a white woman travelling alone? Can tickets be bought on the day or must they be reserved in advance? I take on board the comments about the shortages of food and water and so on... was planning to spend just a day there and return on the next overnight train, is that feasible?

Ontario
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from VF to Bulawayo

I haven't done this myself...but my friends used the train in December..and said it was disgusting. Cockroaches, and just not nice at all. Not what it used to be apparently...

Regarding fares etc...I don't know too much

Kolin, Czech...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from VF to Bulawayo

I asked for train to Balawayo from VF, but it was in wrong time. Actually I need go to Harare. Train go to Balawayo at 4:30pm (no sure) and is in Balawayo at 10pm. Trains are not clean and full of people, without windows etc.

Buses are clean, but bus go on 4-5am.

I actually ask for help some driver of taxi, who help me find hitchhiking and I (white man) and my fiancee (Zimbabwean) went by truck.

Dominik

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from VF to Bulawayo

Just to say the train departs VF at 7pm nightly and is safe for all, though slightly insalubrious as a result of the lack of investment into maintenance. Best move is to book a first-class carriage (2 seats).

Kolin, Czech...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from VF to Bulawayo

Thank you, I will go with it in April. When goes train from Balawayo to Vic Falls?

Brisbane
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from VF to Bulawayo

You can find information on seat61.com.

The Bulawayo - Vic Falls train used to be known as the "tourist" train and was steam hauled until 1992 The trains use old beautiful teak carriages on this line unlike the modern carriages on the bulawayo - harare trains.

First class comprises of 4 berth compartment but they do have 2 double berth compartments in the middle of the carriages.

i would rcommend buying the ticket a day or two before departure at the station.

hope this helps

6. Re: Train from VF to Bulawayo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 07:19