We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Victoria falls that safe?

Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is Victoria falls that safe?

My family and i are hoping to go to Victoria falls next year in the june/july holidays but is it that safe? I have heard many people saying that people leap out at you selling items and the guards at the hotels arn't that protective. Is this true because i don't want to go all the way to victoria falls in africa from australia and find it to be dangerous and unsafe for my family.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Victoria falls that safe?

I have relatives living in Zim so have a vested interest in the country thriving, as you rightly say it is a beautiful country and the people are lovely.

My point was not so much the amount of tax that the government (Mugabe) glean from visitors. The country has very few ways of attracting foreign currency these days but once the USD/£ is in the country, government officials are in a position to corruptly convert this foreign currency for their own profit, that way a great deal of the tourist dollars/pounds goes towards making certain officials very rich. Believe me it happens. It is a very difficult problem to decide whether to help the locals in the short term by going there or whether to try and hasten a change in the country by not going. Very sadly, the poor people are going to suffer one way or another. It is extremely difficult for people like us to understand just what it is like living in a country with, last report I heard, 11,000,000% inflation. Lets just hope that things change very quickly so everyone, locals and tourists can enjoy this beautiful country once more.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Victoria falls that safe?

My wife and I were in Victoria Falls/Zimbabwe on August 30th. I can report that all is safe and calm. The falls are not to be missed and inside the Victoria Falls National Park (entry fee $20.00) not only do you get the best views of the falls but you can walk about with complete safety. Outside you can get a taxi (directly across the street in the car park) to take you back to your hotel or the sellers market.

We were not bothered by anyone except some vendors who sell 50 billion dollar bills for a US dollar, -- they were the most persistent, but not too bad.

At no time did we see ANY civil unrest or feel any hostility from anyone at any time.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
105 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Victoria falls that safe?

I am here in Vic Falls now and largely agree with Wild Wings. Please do not skip Vic Falls. Except for the old main block it is really nice here - you couldn't meet more friendly people and everyone here is just trying to get by. Yes the gov't will get some income from tourists but the local people here need the tourists desperately and yet they are not desperate people; they are proud and hopeful for a better future to come and would much rather trade with you than beg.

When you come bring lots of USD especially in small notes as the local currency is not worth anything. Also it is more expensive than you might expect ie: $2-4 for a Coke but then the internet is about $3 per hour. The big hotels seem about 1/3 full and are the best places for eating.

Also bring anything you can to give away or trade. The people here are desperate for new clothes and shoes, we are regularly asked for socks, pens and insect repellant. Crayons and coloured pencils etc for the kids would be much appreciated and if you are staying at a smaller lodge and had the opportunity to bring in some foodstuffs I'm sure they would gatefully receive any gifts you made.

Where we are staying we are the only gets now that our tour has finished and there are way more staff than needed but the owner is extremely generous and I think he employs half the community. People seem to stop by for supplies regularly and he gives willingly. Today we ran out of cornflakes and I would love to have bought some over from Botswana to gift to them. Eggs, milk and meat seem in good supply but sugar, cooking oil, cereals and toiletries seem a bit harder to come by. The supermarket only accepts local money so I suggest you bring your snack food with you as the shelves are quite empty.

As far as the falls go this is the time of year when there is the least water so viewing from Zambia would be very dissapointing. We went at 6am on the Zimbabwe side to beat the heat which kicks in by 9am and had the place to ourselves until about 9 when the tours start arriving. Definitely worthwhile.

The sunset cruise was not good value for money and I wish we had taken the money spent to the market instead. But the Lion Walk (there are 2 companies - we used ALERT - $100pp) was totally worthwhile. We were the only people there so just imagine having 2 cubs and 5 guides all to yourself - an experience of a lifetime!

One last tip - be prepared to wait for your food. Food prep is definitely on Africa time. Our lodge and the big Vic Falls Hotel both take an age to deliver your meal but the Ilala Lodge was pretty quick when we told them we had a time limit.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
855 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Victoria falls that safe?

Yes Victoria Falls is safe. Although Zimbabwe does feature alot in the news these days due to it current political situation. I can honestly say that Victoria Falls Town is like a different country.

I would certainly encourage you to try see through the bad press and go ahead with your trip.

I would not recommend walking the streets at night, having said that I don’t think it is particularly dangerous either and as locals we do walk around at night and feel safer than we have in many others parts of the world. Just don’t put yourself at risk if you are at all nervous.

There are tons of street vendors in the town, and they can be a bit of a nuisance. Unfortunately for them, the dwindling amount of tourists since Zimbabwe’s collapse has meant their livelihood has been drastically reduced, they are just desperate to make a sale, so it’s worth bearing that in mind when dealing with them. These guys are harmless and desperate, and will generally be very willing to help you. But always be wary when dealing in cash with them as they know all the tricks of the trade.

Have a look www.victoriafalls-guide.net for more info.

15. Re: Is Victoria falls that safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 17:20