We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes

Calgary
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Snakes

I know this sounds like a strange question, but we are going to Victoria Falls this first part of December after three weeks in South Africa. I do not like snakes! Are there many?? Do they get into the lodges? Thanks for any and all advice.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes

Hi there, it is not a strange question and I am sure one that many people would like to ask - first let me start by saying that you are in Africa and yes there are snakes even in South Africa. But as with all wild animals they are just as scared of you as you are of them - they will do everything they can to get away from you, unless trapped or feel in any danger. You should not come across them in the Falls - you do not say where you are staying - is it in a Hotel or one of the out of town more safari based lodges. Certainly the hotels in the town they will not be in the rooms or any other part. But if you do see a snake - my advice to you would be stand still and let it go on its way - if in a resort call someone who would be qualified to deal with it. Hope this has helped and believe me you will have a wonderful trip to the Vic Falls - you dont say if you are staying on the Zimbabwe or Zambian side but have a look at www.victoriafalls-guide.net for some good info on what to do when you are there. Have a good trip.

Calgary
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes

Thanks for the feedback. We are staying at the Lokuthula Lodge that week. Someone on Trip Advisor also mentioned baboons getting into the rooms?? My travelling partners have already booked us tours - including riding an elephant and a cruise on the Zambezi River. Getting excited as we leave on Nov. 13 with our first week at Durban.

Berks UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes

Hi there ipm19,

Just to say that I stayed in Lothulu Lodges last week. The Lodges are self catering with a nice braai,but are part of Victoria falls Safari Lodge. Each semi-detached lodge sleeps 6 people and they are smart and comfortable. Warthogs will be running around and will even come up and sniff you but they are very thame so don't worry. You may well get a spider or three in the house but snakes i doubt it...though I must admit to being very wary myself when I had to go around the side of the house for something...don't forget to go to the Boma for a different night out.

Calgary
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes

Thanks so much for your reply. I feel much better now. I was worried after reading the most recent review on trip advisor, but you have put my fears to rest!! Any other info. you can share would be appreciated......

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes

Just one quick thing is have you sorted out your Malaria precaution?

Lokothula Lodges are beautiful. The elephant back rides is really a unique experience and being in Zimbabwe at this time of the year is definitely the best side by my option for viewing the Falls.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Calgary
Level Contributor
81 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes

Our malarone is packed - thanks again!

7. Re: Snakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 20:19