We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Boston...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Were traveling to V. Falls in late Nov. 09. We are staying for 7 days but I may want to cut out early and to go to Capt Town or other points of interest. We have put aside a full month for travel in Africa. Is 7 days too long of a stay? Im afraid I will get restless and want to check out early! Dave

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
809 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Hi Dave

To be honest with you 7 days in V Falls is a long stay. However saying that there is lots of activities to do - if you have the budget have a look at victoriafalls-guide.net/victoria-falls-activ… you will then have a good idea of what you want to do there and the rates for them.

November the weather will be good and if you are just one for sitting around a pool catching up on your tan - the Falls is also great for that.

So depending if you want to take it slow or need to be busy all the time - is if you will get restless.

Boston...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Hi boo! Ive enjoyed reading all your reviews and suggestions. Also, what you and your family has gone through. We found your experiences moving...

We are staying at the Lokutha lodge for a week in Nov. We are pleased to know that the weather is nice. Since its at the start of the wet season, how are the falls? You gave some nice suggestions for activities. How far in advance should it be reserved? We had considered booking our activities when there however the cash only is a concern. Also, a big deal to my wife is the food.( I have to be careful how i word that!) Do we have to travel over the bridge to Zambia for groceries? A TV program in the states(PBS)said thats where the locals shop for food. If that is the case, does Zambia give tourists a open Visa for the week or do we have to pay a visa fee each time we cross? We expect to travel over a few times during our stay. All this planning is a bit much for us. We havent booked with a travel company since our lodging is part of a time share. Thanks! Dave

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
809 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Hi Dave

It does all sound very confusing but it really is not that bad - I do recommend that you book and pay for your activities before hand - this way you know that it is all paid for and you know what your itineary looks like before getting there and spending you first couple of days trying to book your trips.

Lokuthula by the way is wonderful - there is definately more food availalbe in the shops in Vic Falls - and I dont believe that you would need to go across to Zambia - you might want to go for a day to have a look and could buy some food then but as for going across a couple of times it would not be necessary. The supermarket and various options will certainly be able to supply you with what you need - plus there are a few different options for eating out a couple of times. Having said that you would be able to get a multi entry visa into Zambia for a few trips in.

Things might have changed by November regarding the money situation - but at the moment please note that you will not be able to use your credit card or get cash out of a machine - whilst in Vic Falls -

Hope you have a great trip - will be in contact through the site.

Cypress_Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

We just spent 5 days in Vic Falls. Too long except we never did go to the train station to book the steam train that travels along the Zambezi. I didn't want to book through hotel(Kingdom) guides due to cost mark ups. Be aware travel cops take a kick back on anything you buy but no kickback on goods you trade. The Travel Police or "Security" with batons could keep people back(or just saying you would call them over could minimize the over zealous sales people just trying to make a dollar). I freaked about food issues ahead of time but my kids and I NEVER got ill and we ate each morning at Kingdom hotel. One small grocery store in town, minimal goods. The Pizza Inn on the main drag had excellent pizza. I wish we had tried Mama Africa's. We brought granola bars, flat pack tuna, jerkey and flat pack chicken along with crackers and minature packets of mayo to tide us over(the cleaning guy at the hotel thought the mayo packet might be body lotion, I told him I had heard of people using mayo as a deep conditioner for their hair) and they made it into the country with us no issues/questions. Kids and I traded for lots of goods. Wish I had brought more NEW panties which were treated as precious as gold ingots, more maginifying reading glasses and wrist watches ALONG with batteries to run watches(easy to pack, minimal weight and space and they can't get them there).

Boston...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Interesting comments! Good ideas! I had heard about exchanging things for local items, but I had no clew what to bring! All we thought of was American t-shirts. Now I can go to Walmart and pick up a bunch of cheap $5 watches! Did you actually offer underwear for an exchange of goods?( My wife is curious, though she said she could never do it!)

I have to ask you about your travel cost while in Vic. Falls. We have been advised to pre-pay all activities. It has been said through local travel guides that there is no difference in price for any activities if you pay ahead of time or while there. What was your exp? You said that the Hotel made money of references for the train ride. Everyone needs to make a living but as a tourist I dont want to be taken for a ride!

Thanks! Dave

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

My husband and I are staying in Lokula at Vic Falls Safari Lodge in mid October after a Hazyview time share near Kruger. I thought we would stay 5 days then safari into Botswana to a luxury camp for our last 3 nights before heading back to Dallas via Johannesburg. I've been told Botswana is the "real McCoy" of safari experience. I am grateful for any suggestions. Is the lion walk able to be done with any degree of safety? I want good lion photos for my artwork/painting. Also, I was told the river cruises could be very dangerous. Are there big barges availble - safer. What suggestions does anyone have that has been there?

Lyn

Boston...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Hi Lyn. I appreciate your remarks. We have a similar itinerary except in reverse order. We hope to stay in Botswana for a side trip from V. Falls and ending our stay in Krueger before going home to Boston. Im anxoius to here about your trip since you will be going a month before us.

As far a your questions, we also want to walk with the lions and take the river cruise. Boo Peel, who responded to this post, gave us some advice for that. It all seems safe. She use to be a local guide who is familiar with V. Falls. It would be worth contacting her for additional info.

Enjoy your trip! Dave & Beth

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
809 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Hi Lyn

The lion walk is a great experience and you will certainly be given a safety talk and the guides are very experienced. There has never been an issue todate - you will certainly get a chance for some great up close photos - for your art work - I would definately recommend you doing this - as even in the Kruger and Botswana you are not guaranteed sightings of lions - I have been on many trips to Kruger and Botswana and not see lion at all.

The sunset cruise is on a big barge like boat - and it is certainly not dangerous in the slightest. You will see hippo and crocs but they are not a threat to the cruise at all - it is one of my favorites and definitely recommend you getting onto the mighty Zambezi above the falls.

If you decide to pre book your activities you should definately not pay any more than on the ground. Sometimes it is good to have an itinerary and know what you are doing.

Your trip sounds amazing the combination of Kruger, Botswana and Zimbabwe - will be difficult to beat.

www.victoriafalls-guide.net

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Hi.

I'm from Australia and we stayed 2 nights in Vic Falls in June. I would say 7 nights in VF is way too many!! We did the Falls (walked all way down and went to Zambia side), did the helicopter ride (that is a must-do), and an afternoon sunset cruise - all in one day. It wasn't rushed. Unless you want to do more activities (eg. white-water rafting), I wouldn't stay longer than 2 nights. I'd cut out early - go down and have a few days in Botswana. Amazing. We did 3 nights in Chobe Game Lodge after Vic Falls - can't recommend it enough. Have fun.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 7 days in Vic. Falls too long to stay?

Just returned from Zim, Zam and Botswana yesterday. We spent two nights in Vic Falls, and one in Livingstone. We thought we could have spent a third night in Vic Falls and second night in Livingstone.

We did bungi, gorge swing, flying fox, zip line, elephant walk, and Vic Falls Park. We also spent time at markets in both Vic Falls and Livingstone. There are a handful of other things to do but 7 days would be a long time there.

I suggest looking through the www.victoriafalls-guide.net website and working through Boo Peel to set up things for you. She was great to work with and everything worked out really well.

We stayed at Vic Falls Safari Lodge and could not have been more pleased. Try www.luxurylink.com for a good deal on a room.