We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vic Falls malaria risk July

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Vic Falls malaria risk July

What is the malaria risk level in Vic Falls during late June/early July? Are there many mosquitoes around at that time? I am trying to decide on whether to take antimalarial medication. We have taken Malarone previously without problem but I would prefer not to take anything if the risk is minimal.

Chobe Day Trip From Victoria Falls
26 Reviews
from US$170.00*
Free Cancellation
Helicopter Flight Over Victoria Falls
14 Reviews
from US$150.00*
Free Cancellation
Chobe Extended Day Trip from Victoria...
13 Reviews
from US$245.00*
Free Cancellation
1. Re: Vic Falls malaria risk July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2010, 16:36
Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vic Falls malaria risk July

Thanks Boo. I am getting so excited as our trip draws nearer.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
288 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vic Falls malaria risk July

Hey Bandit,

I think you should talk to a travel doctor in you town and make a well informed decision. Malaria kills over a million people a year in Africa, mostly children. It is not to be take lightly.

For an anti-malarial I take Doxycycline, cheap and for me, no side effects, but talk to a travel doc in your area.

Jim

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vic Falls malaria risk July

We have used Malaria prophylaxis for other trips when visiting moderate to high risk areas during time of year when the risk is such. We have used Malarone and would choose that one again. I would prefer not to take anything if the risk is minimal. Risk always depends on the prevalence of infection in an area as well as the time of year so was wanting some idea from this forum as to the prevalence of mosquitoes during June/July. We definitely consult a travel physician before traveling however they base their info on the CDC and give a best guess as well. I actually work in the medical field so am very used to weighing out the cost/benefit so just want to gather as much info as possible to make my decision including from those who live or have traveled in the area. I appreciate all the input.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vic Falls malaria risk July

Vic Falls is a high risk area (more prevalent during the summer season), check out the following website for more info:

www.sa-venues.com/malaria-risk-areas.htm

Edited: 12 April 2010, 10:40
Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vic Falls malaria risk July

Thanks for the link. That was one I hadn't found. Thinking probably Malarone again.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vic Falls malaria risk July

Whilst you are visiting in Winter & the risk will be lower, I still think the risk will be significant.

There is plenty of standing water in the area, there will still be mosquito's about.

I personally would not travel there at any time of year without taking appropriate precautions (which for me would be Malerone).

It simply isn't worth the risk (again, IMHO).

8. Re: Vic Falls malaria risk July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 05:16