We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilala Lodge cost

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Ilala Lodge cost

I am looking for accommodation for three nights in May next, and the "Average price/night" shown on the TA hotel review of US$130 - $170 is way out off wack with reality. I was just quoted US$458 per night for Standard room with two people. :(

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilala Lodge cost

Just to qualify my previous post. I have no criticism of Ilala Lodge for the price, having reviewed the location and facilities, just the "Average price/night" shown in the hotels review here on TA as being quite misleading.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilala Lodge cost

Frommy, was this a direct quote from the lodge, or via a tour operator or other website? The rate we have on our system for 2010 is $179 per person per night. That is $358 per room per night for two people. Seems like someone added $100 on top of the correct rate...

I know during 2008 and 2009 many of the hotels dropped their rates well below "normal" just to try and get some bums in beds. Perhaps the TA average rates are per person and reflect the rates of that time.

By the way it costs less to stay at the Kingdom Hotel, right across the road. Much bigger hotel, and the standard rooms there are of similar quality to Ilala lodge, even better. Equal walking distance to the falls. At Ilala, the room that impressed me the most was the honeymoon suite. Spacious, nice bathroom, lovely view from the balcony. But, the cost is more than $500 per night for two people.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilala Lodge cost

G'day Onne,

I must say to start with that I always find the advice that you give to others (I rarely ask a question) to be valuable reading, along with that of many other very valuable other posters, having mainly sighted you on the ZA forum.

I used the on-line booking facility from the Ilala website to get a quote because I could not believe that an establishment offering what they do could be so inexpensive as displayed as "Average cost" in the reviews area. I have just undertaken the same exercise tonight and am quoted R3070 pn for two people mid week in early May 2011 for three nights. On xe.com that converts to $US421 today. For the Ozzie it is $AU470.

I appreciate that currencies fluctuate, but the difference between what you advise in your message, and what I am seeing on-line, as still quite large. In addition, it is much more than we would normally spend on accommodation, and SWMBO is paying. Oh, and it has been 40 years since our honeymoon. :)

I will have a look at the Kingdom Hotel though and thank you for that suggestion.

Edited: 13 August 2010, 12:17
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ilala Lodge cost

Frommy, thanks for the compliment. No idea why their own booking system would quote such a high amount. We have rates in them from writing and would certainly honour the rate mentioned above. To be honest we don't use Ilala all that much, primarily because as I said the Kingdom hotel across the road is of equal or better standard, and costs less. But that's not a criticism of Ilala lodge at all. It is much smaller, and the large resort-style Kingdom Hotel is also not everyone's cup of tea.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ilala Lodge cost

"the large resort-style Kingdom Hotel is also not everyone's cup of tea"

I fall into that category, Onne.

6. Re: Ilala Lodge cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2010, 16:34
7. Re: Ilala Lodge cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 05:17