We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

Rochester, New York
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

Anyone with an idea about the state of the road from Bulawayo to Vic Falls these days? I am planning to drive this route in May 2011. How long might the trip take. Also any suggestions on hotels to stay in Bulawayo?

Thanks

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

What is your budget for accommodation in Bulawayo?

Rochester, New York
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

At most $200, we want to only stay over night since we are driving from the direction of Harare.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
874 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

Hi

The road from Victoria Falls to Bulawayo is in perfectly good condition, good tar road all the way. The distance is about 450kms and should take you about 5hrs maximum, depending on what speed you drive. It's lovely scenery along the way, passing through all the teak forests.

There is the Holiday Inn in Bulawayo which is quite good and reasonably priced at about US$126 for a double room, you might be able to get it cheaper on the African Sun website. Or there are self catering lodges and B&B's in the hillside area. Here's one to look at victoriafalls-guide.net/bulawayo-accommodati…

Hope that helps, have fun!

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

I stayed at Paradise Lodge (it's more like a backpackers place) but it has also single/double rooms. the address is: 1 oak avenue, suburbs, Bulawayo. (walking distance from the city main streets)

The place is very comfortable, there is a computer to use... and it's self catering only (there is a very nice kitchen).

if you are looking for a hotel...then it's not the place for you.. however if you are looking for cheap accommodation then this is the place for you. if I remember correctly their most fancy room was 45$ per night. I can look for their email... I wrote it somewhere with my notes.. let me know if you need it.

Edited: 01 February 2011, 17:44
Rochester, New York
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

Thank you for the info. I think I will go for the Holiday inn since I am not much of a "camper". I remember it was very nice but this was over 10 yrs ago.

Maine or Africa
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

I left Zimbabwe last October and will be returning for the season in April.

I spend most of the season in the Vic Falls area.

The drive from Bulawayo to Vic Falls is a little over three hours. The road is two lanes, paved and in good condition. There is little in the way of accommodations until arriving in Vic Falls. The exception to this are the lodges within Hwange National park which is along the route and about an hour and a half from Vic Falls. I do not typically stay in Bulawayo but there are a couple of good comfortable hotels. I will come up with the names and pass them along.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

Hi

I will also be looking fo a place to stay in Bulawayo. So if I could get that email address for the Paradise place that would be great.

Also how far is it to Matopo National Park from Bulawayo? Any idea what the entrance fee is? Is there anywhere to stay in the park?

Rochester, New York
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

Thank you all fo rthe suggestions. Eventually stayed at Nesbitt castle and wow wow wow is the only way to describe the experience.

9. Re: Driving from Bulawayo to Vic Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 05:17