We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Method of Payment and Cancellation policies

1 post
Save Topic
Method of Payment and Cancellation policies

We are planning a trip in December 2011 and are being asked to make 100% payment in advance.

What other options do I have for payment method?

Cancellation policies are stiff, foregoing 30% of the payment in case of cancellation prior to 45 days and increases to 100% for less than 15 days.

Is this standard?

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
13 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Method of Payment and Cancellation policies

There are many alternatives though the bookings will not be guaranteed if you do not pay in advance and someone does pay cash upfront. You must be really sure about the trip before you pay for it else you will be affected by the stringent policies.

You can come to Victoria Falls and pay by cash or by visa card where the facilities are available and this is available with many hotels and lodges. For activities however, if you on the ground, very few operators will accept the card. 100% secures your holiday, but there are alternatives..........

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Method of Payment and Cancellation policies

This is becoming more common not just in Zim but other southern African countries. I have just paid two of the main accommodation providers for our upcoming trip in August the FULL amount. As long as your travel insurance is solid and so are your plans you should be fine. It just annoys me that someone else has my money for a few weeks or months and it is not still in my account earning a bit of interest!

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Method of Payment and Cancellation policies

Payment policies do differ considerably between the different operators and hotels. A 20% deposit is normally enough to secure the booking with the balance often required 3 months before travelling.

Trouble is, because December is prime time, they don't want bookings cancelled at the last minute.

Try checking with some different agents and see if they can work something better for you, it's certainly not standard that you have to pay 100% now for a booking that far in advance.

4. Re: Method of Payment and Cancellation policies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 16:16