We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria falls in late October

Poole
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Victoria falls in late October

Does anyone have any pictures of the falls in late October? I am told that hardly any water is flowing at this time of year, is that correct.

Is it worth going at this time of year to see the falls?

UK
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria falls in late October

The Zambezi at this time is relatively low since it is the the month before the rainy season starts in zimbabwe. The best time to see the falls would be in April/ May which is at the end of the rainy season and the zambezi river is at full flow with spectacular rain clouds over the falls . The rainforst will also be at its lushest ,but beware, be prepared to get soaked! Also in Zimbabwe October is not called suicide month for nothing. The temperature can be very high along the zambezi valley expect it around 100F at midday in October.

big island hawaii
Level Contributor
118 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria falls in late October

i'll be there the end of october, beginning of november, i'll let you know

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria falls in late October

I’ve just returned from my trip to Vic Falls.

Yes, the river is at its lowest level. The Zambia part of the Falls which is the longest one is nearly dry. This is partly because of the hydroelectric power station which is situated in Zambia. The Zimbabwe part though has much more water and I got wet by the mist. It’s a spectacular scene to watch. If you do the Livingston island tour you can see the rainbow which is formed on the mist. It is true that the Falls are more impressive during the months April and May when the river is at its highest level. Bear in mind though that during those months certain activities can not be done such as the Livingston island where you can have the opportunity to swim at the very edge of the rock on the top of the Vic Falls. Something that should not be missed.

Burien, Washington
Level Contributor
7 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria falls in late October

We were just at Victoria Falls in the third week of October. At first I was a little disappointed, but then realized that we would never had such a view of the gorge in the wet season. We went to the Zimbabwe side and had a wonderful view directly across to the falls and could see people at Devil's Pool. Later in the day, we took a jet boat down the river to Livingstone Island, swam across a channel just above the falls, and then swam in Devil's Pool right to the edge of the falls. I crawled out on my stomach and peered directly down over the falls pouring over the edge straight down 330 feet. We then returned to Livingstone Island (two feet from the edge) and had a spectacular lunch. October was hot but terrific for us.

new york
Level Contributor
138 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria falls in late October

Did you have to cross the border into Zambia to access Devil's Pool?

kits55
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria falls in late October

can you swim in the Devil's Swimming Pool in months other than October??

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
856 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victoria falls in late October

You can only swim in the Devils pool when the water if low enough - ie October - it is also a great time for white water rafting - because of the water level.

I personally thing each different times has advantages and it is always worth going to see the Falls. Definitely if you are going in October - you must see them from the Zimbabwe side - as there will be very little going over the Zambian side.

Have a look at www.victoriafalls-guide.net for some good info on the Vic Falls - Zimbabwe side - accommodation etc.

kits55
Level Contributor
13 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victoria falls in late October

I am glad to hear that it's worth going year round to see the falls. We will be living in South Africa for a year or so. Our friends are dying to come so that they can swim in the Devil's Swimming Pool and I wanted to be sure of when they could do that.

Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Victoria falls in late October

I went to Victoria Falls Zimbabwe in October last year. It was still amazing to see. Of course there wasn't as much water as there would be after the rain but I still thought it was fantastic. Just a tip have lot of american dollars in cash before you get there as you can only take out about $1US a day. I heard a few people got caught out on that one. The people I found were very friendly but also quite desperate. If you politly keep saying "no thank you" eventually they leave you alone. I HIGHLY recomend the 'Lion walk and elephant safari and the bungee jump.' The best advise my tour guide gave me was "just go with it" these people have nothing. Example... When i arrived i was so hungry, when i got to my room i went to ordered dinner on the room service menu all they had was cheese and tomatoe sandwhich. So be prepared that they have nothing. I do how ever highly reccomend the Kingdom Hotel in Zimbabwe

10. Re: Victoria falls in late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 05:16