We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

We are heading to Vic Falls next month,staying in Zimbabwe and Zambia. Is there an Aussie with recent experience who can tell us about Visa requirements and costs, and maybe provide any tips re visas?

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

Entry Visas for Australians cost:

Zimbabwe

Single entry: US$30

Double entry US$45

Zambia

Single entry: US$50

Double entry: US$80

Day tripper visa: US$20 ( you can only use this if you are staying in Zimbabwe and want to visit Zambia for the day, you can't use it if you are arriving in Zambia and transferring to Zimbabwe - in this case you have to buy a single entry visa)

It best to purchase your visa on arrival at the airport. Must take cash though.

If you leave Zimbabwe even for an hour to visit Zambia or Botswana you will need another visa to re enter Zimbabwe, so if you know you are going to do this then purchase a double entry visa when you first arrive. The same applies in Zambia.

Don't forget that you will need a yellow fever vaccination if you are traveling through Zambia and back into South Africa.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

Thanks very much for your advice BooPeel - much appreciated !

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

Yes, the explanation is helpful.

However, still confused. If we are staying in Zimbabwe and only going to Zambia to catch flight to Johannesburg--which visa fee do we need? Will day fee work? Thanks so much.

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

Don't worry I know it is confusing.

Sadly the day tripper visa ($20) doesn't work for you. That applies to people visiting Zambia for less than 24hrs but are exiting Zambia through the same border post that they entered. If you get to the airport and only have bought the day tripper they will charge you again.

You will have to buy the single entry visa / transit visa for US$50... annoying I know.

Launceston
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

What cash do they take? I am Australian so will I need to get some or the Zambian money? Does it take long to do at the airport?

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

US dollars is the standard currency in Zimbabwe and is by far the most preferable currency to use. You can get US$ out of the ATM machines in Zim, but I would advise bringing some us$ cash with you.

Perth
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

Hi, sorry to rehash this post but we are traveling to Zambia in Sept 2013 and want to know if the US$50 visa still applies?

We arrive from J'burg into Livingston - can we get at airport and still payable in USD?

Thank you

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
359 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

Yes you can still get at the airport and pay the $50 but its cheaper to pay $80 so that when you decide to cross over the see the falls on the Zimbabwean side it will easy. remember September its low water season so the falls are more beautiful on Victoria side than Livingstone.

Philani Moyo- Owner and Director Shockwave Adventures

Perth
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

Thanks Shockwaverafting, I read somewhere that for Australian passport it is only US$25 - is this true?

Also, we are staying at Tongabezi so will we need to cross to Zim side or will that be part of the activities on offer, do you know?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa requirements for australians heading to Vic Falls

<<I read somewhere that for Australian passport it is only US$25 - is this true?>>

NO it isn't, visa fees are standard for ALL countries at $50 single/transit, 80$ double. 20$ day trip visa. Visa will have to be paid for for your return from Zim, plus the Zim visa

Ivan

Edited: 12 July 2013, 18:17