We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VF and malaria

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
6 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
VF and malaria

I am visiting VF in june this year and bringing 2 kids (13 and 8) .. How worried should we be about the mosquitoes and malaria?

As we plan to join sunset cruise at dusk . What precautions to take about malaria other than malarone tablet which we hv been prescribed with ?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: VF and malaria

Take the tablets, wear long sleeve shirt and long pants when going into the Parks. Bring repellent to use also.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
6 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VF and malaria

Thank you my friend ...

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VF and malaria

Was at the falls last week for 3 days.

Mosquitoes never bit once, not while walking through the parks or at night.

During the sunset cruise, we never had any issues either.

Only mosquito repellent was used throughout the trip as a precaution and we never had problems. Looking at the side effects of the tablet, i wouldn't recommend it.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: VF and malaria

I stopped at the pharmacy in Vic Falls when we were there. The Pharmacist takes anti malarial as does the locals. I'm taking them, no questions. Our guide in Matopos recounted being sick for a week with malaria after not taking his meds, I won't go there without taking meds.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: VF and malaria

"The Pharmacist takes anti malarial as does the locals". Can't imagine lots of locals taking antimalarial prophylactics. The vast majority of them have problems at the moment covering the cost of food. Most locals with money don't take them long term either. I would question the validity of the information you were given.

West Australia
Level Contributor
486 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VF and malaria

" Looking at the side effects of the tablet, i wouldn't recommend it."

Having experienced the primary effects of malaria, I would recommend it.

7. Re: VF and malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:41