We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitewater rafting

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Whitewater rafting

Hi All! Some questions for those who have done whitewater rafting in Vic Falls. I note there is a walk from a truck/ van to the river and back. Do we bring our valuables with us on the raft or is there a safe place to store it in the van? I'm worried about stuff falling out if the raft flips. Can we bring a change of clothes and towels for after?

Our itinerary is a little packed with a half day rafting and seeing the Falls themselves on the same day, is that do-able?

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitewater rafting

i would not take ANY valuables on the raft as they will definitely fall overboard at some stage as the majority of rafts flip over!

I have done the rafting a couple of times and have not taken anythinig with me except for the clothes i was wearing! The trip will need to be fully paid in advance so you wont need money. Cameras are an absolute no-no as they'll be killed by the water, or if its a water-proof camera, will be washed away when you flip over!

All the tour operators will sell you photos/dvds of the day if you want them. Theyre not cheap but are your only option

With regards to change of clothes and a towel, you wont need them! By the time you've hiked out of the gorge at the end, your clothes will have dried off (its a long steep walk!)

Its a brilliant day out, but please dont take anything with you that you would want to ever see again!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitewater rafting

Ok, thanks Phil!

Ndola, Zambia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitewater rafting

I would suggest you leave all your valuables with your hotel management on your rafting outing. Rafting is a very wetty activity not ideal to electronics or jewelry. They will either be lost or get spoiled in the water. I would also not recommend locking them up in the truck/car as they may attract unnecessary attention from opportunistic lifters. That’s why my best option would be to leave them with hotel management.

A towel or change of clothes is not necessary. Just choose what you want to wear for the rafting, preferably a short and T-shirt. That should do; no towel. Try by all means not to carry stuff that will just end up being a burden on you on your half day of rafting.

Enjoy your vacation!

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitewater rafting

With regards to your second question, on the rafting trips you are dropped back at your hotel around about 2.30pm, so if you have a quick change around and catch a bus or a tour down to the Falls you can be there by around 3ish. The absolute best time to see the Falls is between 1 and 3pm for the rainbows, but there is plenty of light after this so if it's your only option then that will be fine, you need to allow an absolute minimum of 2hrs to walk along the length of the Falls, preferrably longer to take it all in. The Gates closes at 6pm

5. Re: Whitewater rafting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 12:16