We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

Calgary Alberta
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

My family and I are preparing to go to Vic Falls in a couple of months. I have read a lot of people saying that it is not wise to use a credit card due to poor exchange etc. However the problem is the activities such as the helicopter ride over the falls etc cost a lot so how is the best way to pay for these?

1. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 16:57
Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

dont use zim dollars at all, Use $US

3. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Calgary Alberta
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

Well thanks for your suggestions. It just seems one will be walking around with a lot of US$ on hand to pay for any activities. I cannot even fathom counting that high to buy lunch in millions of Zim$.

I guess it will be an interesting learning experience.

5. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

Boston...
Level Contributor
851 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

You should pay for tourist activities such as helicopter rides, rafting, etc. by credit card because prices for these things are quoted in USD so you're not loosing on the exchange rate. (Your cc will be charged in dollars, not Zim.) Just be aware that only Visa works in Zimbabwe (and sporadically at that); Mastercard, Discover and American Express are not taken anywhere.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

Actually, someone posted on travelblog.org that credit cards are not being accepted by many places due to the hyper inflation (>1000%). By the time the charge clears and is posted to the vendors accounts, the cost has increased dramatically. Thus, nearly everyone wants only foreign currency.

8. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

South Africa
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

Just got back from Victoria Falls Hotel (Zimbabwe side) and thoroughly enjoyed it. If staying in Vic Falls area, I would only use foreign currency. Meals at hotels are quoted in Zim$'s and usually a 50%-60%discount is given if paying in foreign currency. (Meals at this hotel however are expensive). Just be aware that any change you may need, will only be paid back to you in Zim $'s so be sure to bring your smaller foreign currency bills as well so that you can settle the bill to the exact amount.

US$ is most useful but Euros and South African Rand are readily accepted. Changing money ''on-the-street" / black market is considered illegal in Zimbabwe and punishable. I strongly would not suggest it. I also would not suggest widely using your credit card as your bill will be charged in Zim$'s first and then translated at the bank rate.

In addition to currency, the locals are keen on bartering curio items in exchange for any clothing, goods you may have. You may also want to consider bringing anything you can give away; toiletries, clothing, shoes etc. Zimbabweans are wonderful people but are faced with such challenges and poverty. We made various stops along the way to the airport when leaving and gave away many litres of juice and othe items. I have never received such beautiful smiles of gratitude. Zambia seems to be more popular these days, but we wanted to support the unfortuanate people of Zimbabwe and are glad that we did.

Calgary Alberta
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you suggest for money in Vic Falls

Thanks to everyone for their advice about the money, that is a good point about having exact change as otherwise they will make change in zim$. It is such a shame about the state of the country.

Thanks again.