We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

ME
Level Contributor
49 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

We see some different proposals for a one day Chobe tour (Starting from Victoria Falls).

The Chobe looks promising; is a one day tour enough to enjoy the park? Or maybe a two day is required?

Anyone visiting the park can advise?

If so, I didn't find any tour operator providing a two day tour, any recommendation for such tour operator?

HP

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
167 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

I visited Chobe from Livingstone in Nov 2010 on a day trip. The owner of Zig Zag Bed and Breakfast (http://www.zigzagzambia.com/index.php) helped me with all arrangements. I chose a day trip due to time factor otherwise I’d have done a 2 nights. The day trip was tiring.

Another guest from the B&B did overnight trip to Chobe and said it was wonderful.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
77 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

I would recommend 2 days. The park is magnificent and the more time you can spend there, the better. But there is also a more practical reason. Wildlife viewing is best at sunrise and sunset - you will miss out on these best times with a day trip.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,842 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

We did the day trip which was awesome and regretted not staying longer. We went with Steenbok Safari, www.steenboksafari.com and it was magnificent.

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

Hi, I'm planning to visit chobe on a one day trip from livingstone. So far, the most economical package I got is from Victoria falls adventures which include transfer at $135pp. Has anyone used them? Or have a better deal to share? Thanks :)

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,842 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

$135pp is way too high if it's just the transfer. If it's for the day trip and transfer included a very good price.

These are good resources:

http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/

http://backpackersbazaarvicfalls.com/

www.steenbok.com

Edited: 07 April 2013, 21:46
Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
417 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

We transferred from Victoria Falls to Chobe and then actually spent three days in the area. We had a day with multiple leopard spottings, went to a school and village, enjoyed night drives to see nocturnal animals, and then did the boat on the Chobe River. If you can only get a day trip, go! But, the longer the better. We transferred from Victoria Falls to the airport (Ksana, I think) and then were picked up by Muchenje Lodge which is where we stayed for three nights. They were wonderful, and our guide, Lips, was amazing! Good luck, hope you find exactly what you want. If not, I'd work with a Lodge from the Chobe area and let them set up the transfers. When we transfered, one van took us to the Botswana border, and another van to us to the airport.

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

Thanks! How is the wildlife in chobe? I read mixed reviews from excellent viewing of lots of animals to "too many humans and elephants only".

We will be based in zambia livingstone area so a day trip would be easiest for us. The packages that I've gotten thus far ranges from $170-190pp!

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
417 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

Wildlife in Chobe was fabulous! I think that the concentration of wildlife is greater in August/September when animals are gathered by waterholes. We saw (literally) thousands of elephants. Seeing the cows with their calves crossing the Chobe was amazing. We also saw one lion, giraffes, cape buffalo, hippo, hyenas, warthogs, and were lucky enough to have three leopards grazing just a few feet from our vehicle. We also saw a wonderful amount of birds. During night views, we also saw smaller animals. At night, you could hear the zebras and elephants from our cabin.

We rank the boat ride on Chobe as one of our favorite things to do. You know that animals do what animals do, so viewing is not the same from day to day. That is why we elected to stay at fewer camps and stay for three nights to maximize viewing time. Animals were fantastic there, and we'd rank Hwange in Zimbabwe right up there too.

Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

That's cool! Thanks for the detailed information. We will only be doing a day trip in October. Hope it's as good too :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chobe day trip vs. two days Chobe from Victoria Falls

Depending on budget one option you may consider is Chobe Safari Lodge for an overnight stay - game viewing in Chobe is usually very good year round, even the wet season is rewarding!