We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Safari- Victoria Falls to Dar Es Salaam

Bloomfield Hills...
5 posts
Save Topic
Camping Safari- Victoria Falls to Dar Es Salaam

Has anyone done a budget safari camping trip in the month of December? I'm planning on doing a trip through Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania which is strictly camping type (and very reasonably priced). I don't know how it's going to pan out during the rainy season so I'm crossing my fingers for the best of animals and experience! Please let me know if you have any advice on what specifically to pack and if the camping was worthwhile.

This is the specific tour that I'm looking at.

africanbudgetsafaris.com/overland-camping-to…

Thank you!

Discover Safaris
Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Shearwater Victoria Falls - Day Trips
Safaris, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
117 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Safari- Victoria Falls to Dar Es Salaam

My Son is residing in Zimbabwe and when it rains it is torrential.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping Safari- Victoria Falls to Dar Es Salaam

I was driving through Zimbabwe in December many years ago. 1st few hours, when it started raining, visibility was almost nil. I had to pull way off the road because trucks and buses were barreling along regardless, in the middle of the road. I wouldn't want to be camping in that weather and mud. Mana Pools was closed after that deluge.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
957 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping Safari- Victoria Falls to Dar Es Salaam

Most of the places you would want to get to to maximise your chances of seeing animals will be inaccessible, if not actually closed, during the rainy season.

Bloomfield Hills...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping Safari- Victoria Falls to Dar Es Salaam

Ahhh... Now I'm nervous! Guess I have to pack proper rain gear as well! Thanks for the heads up!

Victoria Falls...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping Safari- Victoria Falls to Dar Es Salaam

Zimbabwe indeed will be rainy but the weather is not uniform throughout the country. Victoria Falls and Hwange National Park are in the North Western section of the country and the rains are relatively sparse and light most of the time. Any heavy downpour doesn't normally last long and there are chances that it will not rain altogether. There are excellent camping facilities and reasonably priced alternatives within the same location. On top of this amazing choice, once you are here you are only about an hour's drive (+/- 70km) from the Chobe National Park in Botswana which can help you broaden your safari experience by going there on a day tour or overnight camping. Kariba-Mana Pools do have some good rains but I can guarantee you that the place fills up especially in December so the rains are bearable. I would also suggest a houseboat safari as an alternative but will do more research and get back to you on this bit.

For the Shearwater Victoria Falls Team

6. Re: Camping Safari- Victoria Falls to Dar Es Salaam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 07:16